Old 11-03-2011, 03:37 AM
Knute Johnson

Default Problem using ssh with Android phone

I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone
when using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from my
wireless network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port 22 is
open to the world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says the
phone network isn't blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-03-2011, 07:59 AM
Avi Greenbury

Knute Johnson wrote:

> I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone
> when using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from
> my wireless network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port
> 22 is open to the world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says
> the phone network isn't blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?

Which SSH client are you using, and what happens when you try to
connect? Does it just never connect, or produce an error message?

It does sound a lot like the problem is your mobile network, though.

--
Avi

Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Colin Law

On 3 November 2011 04:37, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone when
> using the phone's 3G network. *It works fine if I connect from my wireless
> network in the house. *I'm running 11.04 server and port 22 is open to the
> world. *I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says the phone network isn't
> blocking port 22. *Any ideas where to look?

Can you connect to your ssh server through the internet from another pc?

Colin

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Knute Johnson

I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone when
using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from my wireless
network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port 22 is open to the
world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says the phone network isn't
blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?

Can you connect to your ssh server through the internet from another pc?

Colin

I haven't been able to get anywhere else to try it. I know it worked in
the past but I had to re-build my server last month because of a failed
power supply and it doesn't work any more.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Knute Johnson

I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone
when using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from
my wireless network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port
22 is open to the world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says
the phone network isn't blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?

Which SSH client are you using, and what happens when you try to
connect? Does it just never connect, or produce an error message?

It does sound a lot like the problem is your mobile network, though.

The SSH client is ConnectBot and it worked until I rebuilt my server
last month. It works fine if I'm on my wireless network.

It does sound like the phone network is blocking the port but I tried
Firebind which is an Android app that is supposed to check both ways for
port blocking.

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-03-2011, 02:34 PM
clanlaw

On 3 November 2011 14:54, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> On 11/3/2011 1:59 AM, Avi Greenbury wrote:
>>
>> Knute Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone
>>> when using the phone's 3G network. *It works fine if I connect from
>>> my wireless network in the house. *I'm running 11.04 server and port
>>> 22 is open to the world. *I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says
>>> the phone network isn't blocking port 22. *Any ideas where to look?
>>
>> Which SSH client are you using, and what happens when you try to
>> connect? Does it just never connect, or produce an error message?
>>
>> It does sound a lot like the problem is your mobile network, though.
>>

> The SSH client is ConnectBot and it worked until I rebuilt my server last
> month. *It works fine if I'm on my wireless network.
>
> It does sound like the phone network is blocking the port but I tried
> Firebind which is an Android app that is supposed to check both ways for
> port blocking.

The wireless network is not going through the internet. You need to
check for access via the internet so you know whether it is the fact
that you are using the phone that is the problem, or whether it is
that you are coming in via the internet that is the problem. I
presume you do not even get a login prompt when using he phone.

Colin

Old 11-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Knute Johnson

[...]

No I don't get a prompt but the server is set to login with a key.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-03-2011, 03:16 PM
Knute Johnson

I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone
when using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from my
wireless network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port 22 is
open to the world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says the phone
network isn't blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks,

Looks like I've found the problem with Colin's help. I think my ISP is
blocking port 22 inbound to my router. I've got an email in to him. If
that isn't it, I'll post back.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson

Old 11-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Thu, Nov 03, 2011 at 07:52:00AM -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 11/3/2011 2:30 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> >On 3 November 2011 04:37, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> >>I'm having a problem connecting to my ssh server via my Android phone when
> >>using the phone's 3G network. It works fine if I connect from my wireless
> >>network in the house. I'm running 11.04 server and port 22 is open to the
> >>world. I've tried Firebind on my phone and it says the phone network isn't
> >>blocking port 22. Any ideas where to look?
> >
> >Can you connect to your ssh server through the internet from another pc?
> >
> >Colin
> >

> I haven't been able to get anywhere else to try it. I know it
> worked in the past but I had to re-build my server last month
> because of a failed power supply and it doesn't work any more.

Could it be that you replaced the motherboard? And you're using builtin
Ethernet, so the MAC address changed? And the router used to assign a
static IP to your server according to the old MAC, but now doesn't do
that because the MAC is different? And the router had port-forwarding
configured to forward port 22 to the old static IP, which is no longer
used by the new server?

I would check the router configuration if I were you.

Marius Gedminas
--
Do not meddle in the affairs of sysadmins,
they are quick to anger and have no need for subtlety.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Knute Johnson

[...]

No it is all fixed IP.

--