Old 11-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Alan Shank

Default Creating a custom Russian keyboard

I have Ubuntu 11.10. I looked at all the available Russian keyboards in
System Settings/Keyboard/Layout Settings and none of them is quite like
my Cyrillic Keyboard I use on Windows. I work on both computers, and
it's going to be a real pain if the two Cyrillic keyboards are
different.

Is there some way to modify the key assignments on one of those
keyboards so that they match my other one. There are only a couple of
keys that are mis-placed (for me).

Or, is there some way to create a custom keyboard;
I have the Unicode values for Russian letters.
Thanks,
Alan Shank
Woodland, CA

Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Séamas Ó Brógáin

Customising your keyboard layout is not too difficult. It’s a text file
in which each line links the code number of the key to a particular
character. On my computer it‘s

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ie

The last two letters are the country code you have selected; yours will
be different.

Each line is like this:

key <AB02> { [ x, X, VoidSymbol ], [ multiply, 0x1002297 ] };

You can have one or two “groups” (within brackets), each containing one,
two or three “levels” (separated by commas). Level 1 is the character
you get without modification, level 2 is with shift, level 3 is with a
level 3 selector key. (Not many people use this.) Group 2 is the same
but with the key usually called “alt.”

VoidSymbol is where you want no response. Alphanumeric characters are
given explicitly (like [x] and [X] above. Other characters can be
specified with a special name, where there is one (like “multiply”
above); all characters can be specified by Uniocode number prefixed by
0x100.

Don’t try to create a file from scratch (there are lots of other things
in it) but copy and modify an existing one for your chosen language.