Old 11-02-2011, 06:06 PM
Hugh Caley

Default very slow glxgears performance with Unity

I'm using an nvidia GeForce 210 card and the proprietary drivers.*
I'm running in nvidia's "twinview" mode to get a desktop spread over
two monitors.* With every desktop except Unity 3D (Gnome 3, Gnome 2,
Gnome 2 with Compiz, Unity 2D) I get well over 1000 fps with
glxgears.* With Unity 3D I get > 100 fps.*

Any idea why it is so slow with Unity 3D only?*

--

Hugh Caley

Linux System Administrator

Aldon Business Area

Rocket Software

6001 Shellmound St. Ste. 600 Emeryville, CA 94608 USA

Tel:+1.510.285.8542

Email:hcaley@aldon.com

Web:aldon.com

Old 11-03-2011, 03:08 PM
Bruce Pieterse

I'm using an nvidia GeForce 210 card and the proprietary drivers. I'm
running in nvidia's "twinview" mode to get a desktop spread over two
monitors. With every desktop except Unity 3D (Gnome 3, Gnome 2, Gnome
2 with Compiz, Unity 2D) I get well over 1000 fps with glxgears. With
Unity 3D I get > 100 fps.

Any idea why it is so slow with Unity 3D only?
--
*/Hugh Caley/
Linux System Administrator
Aldon Business Area
Rocket Software*
6001 Shellmound St. Ste. 600 Emeryville, CA 94608 USA
Tel:+1.510.285.8542
Email:hcaley@aldon.com
Web:aldon.com

Hi Hugh,

Which version of the drivers are you using? If you are using version
173 try "version current" which is [recommended] using jockey-gtk.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 11-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Hugh Caley

[...]

I've tried it with both of the drivers available to me using jockey-gtk,
Bruce. Same problem.

Hugh

Old 11-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Hmm, I have Zotac Geforce 9500GT 512MB and 8GB RAM and I get the
following from glxgears:

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Whoops, accidentally pressed sent. This is what I get from glxgears:

~ glxgears
21522 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4304.254 FPS

23032 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4606.329 FPS
22947 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4589.378 FPS
22852 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4570.190 FPS

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 11-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Hugh Caley

[...]

There don't seem to be any numbers, there, Bruce

Assuming that your numbers were high, are you sure you are running
the default Unity 3D, and not the 2D version?* As I mentioned, I got
numbers > 1000 fps on every desktop except Unity 3D.* Actually,
that's not quite true, I think I was getting around 650 fps with
Gnome 3, but that's still a lot faster than my < 100 fps with
Unity 3D.

Hugh

Old 11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Yes, I am running 3D. I logged in to 2D earlier to test something else.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Here is the glxgears output:

22182 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4436.168 FPS
22641 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4528.076 FPS
21175 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4234.321 FPS
22564 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4512.769 FPS

--
Best of luck,

Bruce