Old 11-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Gabriel

Default Technical Problems

Hi,
Im using ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Oncelot, with one Hp dm1 3200sp
laptop for a couple weeks now and i have been with a problem without
answer until now. For some reason, when i`m on battery power and
multitasking with my laptop, listening to music, browsing the web (
trough wireless connection ), reading mails and writing, my laptop just
freezes after some time and my caps lock light start to blink. I read
about that on the ubuntu foruns but couldn`t find where`s my laptop`s
problem. Please somebody help me fix that issue.

Best regards.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:39 AM
Rigved Rakshit

Hi,

* *Im using ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Oncelot, with one Hp dm1 3200sp *laptop for a couple weeks now and i have been with a problem without answer until now.*Have you asked for help elsewhere earlier? Like the #ubuntu chat-room on the Freenode channel on IRC or askubuntu.com?

For some reason, when i`m on battery power and multitasking with my laptop, listening to music, browsing the web ( trough wireless connection ), reading mails and writing, my laptop just freezes after some time and my caps lock light start to blink.

Your laptop might be freezing due to over-heating. Every time your laptop freezes, check if it is too hot to touch.

If this really is the problem, then you should buy a cooling pad for your laptop and also, try to ensure that your laptop is used in a cool environment, like in an air-conditioned room.

Again, this is just a preliminary diagnosis from the little information that you have given in the email.
*

I read about that on the ubuntu foruns but couldn`t find where`s my laptop`s problem. Please somebody help me fix that issue.

Can you provide the link(s) to the ubuntuforums.org posts that you thought were relevant to your problem.

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 AM
massimo sandal

On 2 Nov 2011 19:18, "Gabriel" <gbriel1234567890@live.com.pt> wrote:

> Hi,

> * *Im using ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Oncelot, with one Hp dm1 3200sp *laptop for a couple weeks now and i have been with a problem without answer until now. For some reason, when i`m on battery power and multitasking with my laptop, listening to music, browsing the web ( trough wireless connection ), reading mails and writing, my laptop just freezes after some time and my caps lock light start to blink. I read about that on the ubuntu foruns but couldn`t find where`s my laptop`s problem. Please somebody help me fix that issue.

Blinking caps lock and freeze = kernel panic,last time I checked.

Next time it locks up, reboot and then look for /var/log/messages , check what happened before your reboot. This should help to troubleshoot the issue.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Gabriel

> * *Im using ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Oncelot, with one Hp dm1
3200sp *laptop for a couple weeks now and i have been with a
problem without answer until now. For some reason, when i`m on
battery power and multitasking with my laptop, listening to
music, browsing the web ( trough wireless connection ), reading
mails and writing, my laptop just freezes after some time and my
caps lock light start to blink. I read about that on the ubuntu
foruns but couldn`t find where`s my laptop`s problem. Please
somebody help me fix that issue.

Blinking caps lock and freeze = kernel panic,last time I
checked.

Next time it locks up, reboot and then look for
/var/log/messages , check what happened before your reboot. This
should help to troubleshoot the issue.

> * *Best regards.

I Would like to thank you for the answers for now.

I tried cheking the logs, but i can`t find nothing from moments
before the kernel panic, i can only find logs from 1 minute after
and before. Like this:

Nov* 5 10:01:21 MOBBILLE AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting due to inactivity

Nov* 5 10:01:21 MOBBILLE AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting was requested

Nov* 5 10:03:53 MOBBILLE kernel: imklog 5.8.1, log source =
/proc/kmsg started.

Nov* 5 10:03:53 MOBBILLE rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
swVersion="5.8.1" x-pid="867" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] start

But when my pc froze, it was Nov** 5 10:02:59 in the clock.

I think that happen because, when my kernel panic happens i am
forced to shutdown my pc by pressing the power buttom for some time.

Is there some way to retrieve logs from the moment of the crash? Is
there some other way to find about this kernel panic? Is there a way
to fix it?

Please help me.

Best Regards