Old 11-02-2011, 04:15 AM
Doug

Default led vs. lcd monitors

I have been teetering on the edge of upgrading a 4x3 monitor to a 16x9.
Today I was in Staples, and looked at about 5 brands of 23"
monitors, which included both LCD and LED I definitely got the
impression that the LED monitors were not as sharp as the LCDs.
I wonder if this is just a poor sample, or if this is actually the case
across the board. (It would seem that LCDs are on the way out.

They're certainly cheaper.) What is the consensus?

--doug

Old 11-02-2011, 07:59 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

I have been teetering on the edge of upgrading a 4x3 monitor to a 16x9.
Today I was in Staples, and looked at about 5 brands of 23"
monitors, which included both LCD and LED I definitely got the
impression that the LED monitors were not as sharp as the LCDs.
I wonder if this is just a poor sample, or if this is actually the case
across the board. (It would seem that LCDs are on the way out.
They're certainly cheaper.) What is the consensus?

--doug

Doug,
As most people are lured by sales-speak, Led-displays are LCD-displays.
The only difference they have LED's as light-source instead of lamps.
The display is in both cases LCD. I think that actually to produce
LED-lights is cheaper but it is a new fad and therefore more expensive.
(My last screen was a "cheap" (Philips) LCD-screen from the sales
corner: works as a charm).

Cheers,
Joep

Old 11-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Colin Law

On 2 November 2011 08:59, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> On 11/02/2011 06:15 AM, Doug wrote:
>>
>> I have been teetering on the edge of upgrading a 4x3 monitor to a 16x9.
>> Today I was in Staples, and looked at about 5 brands of 23"
>> monitors, which included both LCD and LED I definitely got the
>> impression that the LED monitors were not as sharp as the LCDs.
>> I wonder if this is just a poor sample, or if this is actually the case
>> across the board. (It would seem that LCDs are on the way out.
>> They're certainly cheaper.) What is the consensus?
>>
>> --doug
>>

> Doug,
> As most people are lured by sales-speak, Led-displays are LCD-displays. The
> only difference they have LED's as light-source instead of lamps. The
> display is in both cases LCD. I think that actually to produce LED-lights is
> cheaper but it is a new fad and therefore more expensive.
> (My last screen was a "cheap" (Philips) LCD-screen from the sales corner:
> works as a charm).

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED-backlit_LCD_display#RGB_dynamic_LEDs
for a discussion of the pros and cons of LED backlighting.

Colin

> Cheers,
> Joep

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 11-02-2011, 08:18 AM
David Fletcher

On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 01:15 -0400, Doug wrote:
> I have been teetering on the edge of upgrading a 4x3 monitor to a 16x9.
> Today I was in Staples, and looked at about 5 brands of 23"
> monitors, which included both LCD and LED I definitely got the
> impression that the LED monitors were not as sharp as the LCDs.
> I wonder if this is just a poor sample, or if this is actually the case
> across the board. (It would seem that LCDs are on the way out.
> They're certainly cheaper.) What is the consensus?
>
> --doug

I thought LED in this context referred to the method of back lighting
the LCD panel, using LEDs rather than cold cathode fluorescent tubes.

The only active LED screen I have heard of, is the organic LED (OLED)
screen in the Sony XEL-1 television, in which the screen is made from an
array of red, green and blue OLEDs fabricated onto a small, very
expensive panel.

LCD screens work by controlling the amount of back light passing through
by a clever use of polarization. Try putting a polarising filter such as
sunglasses or a camera filter in front of an LCD TV or monitor and
rotate it to see the effect.

Dave

Old 11-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Doug

[...]

Yes, I know that the image-forming technology is the same, but perhaps
the folks who make LED sets use fewer pixels? I couldn't understand why

what I was seeing was true, but it was. It was mostly noticeable with
black text on a white background, which is much of what I use a computer
for.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley

Old 11-02-2011, 08:42 PM
"Fred A. Miller"

As*most*people*are*lured*by*sales-speak,*Led-displays*are*LCD-displays.

The*only*difference*they*have*LED's*as*light-source*instead*of*lamps.

The*display*is*in*both*cases*LCD.*I*think*that*act ually*to*produce

LED-lights*is*cheaper*but*it*is*a*new*fad*and*therefor e*more*expensive.

(My*last*screen*was*a*"cheap"*(Philips)*LCD-screen*from*the*sales

corner:*works*as*a*charm).

Cheers,

Joep

Yes, I know that the image-forming technology is the same, but
perhaps
the*folks*who*make*LED*sets*use*fewer*pixels?*I*co uldn't*understand*why

what*I*was*seeing*was*true,*but*it*was.**It*was*mo stly*noticeable*with

black text on a white background, which is much of what I use a
computer for.

Sharpness depends, in part, on the brand you choose. There are 2
other differences

between LCD and LED in monitors AND TVs. They are; LED "anything"
costs less

to run...less electricity, and the life of LED is far longer than
plasma and also LCD.

'Hope I didn't make your decision harder for you.

Fred

Old 11-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Joseph Loo

Sharpness depends, in part, on the brand you choose. There are 2 other
differences
between LCD and LED in monitors AND TVs. They are; LED "anything" costs
less
to run...less electricity, and the life of LED is far longer than plasma
and also LCD.
'Hope I didn't make your decision harder for you.

Fred

Consider if the display is set at its native resolution. If it is not,
LCD displays typically are not very sharp or have good coloring.

--
Joseph Loo
jloo@acm.org

Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 17:42:19 -0400, Fred A. Miller wrote:

> On 11/02/2011 12:56 PM, Doug wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>>> Doug,
>>> As most people are lured by sales-speak, Led-displays are
>>> LCD-displays. The only difference they have LED's as light-source
>>> instead of lamps. The display is in both cases LCD. I think that
>>> actually to produce LED-lights is cheaper but it is a new fad and
>>> therefore more expensive. (My last screen was a "cheap" (Philips)
>>> LCD-screen from the sales corner: works as a charm).
>>> Cheers,
>>> Joep
>>>

>> Yes, I know that the image-forming technology is the same, but perhaps
>> the folks who make LED sets use fewer pixels? I couldn't understand why
>> what I was seeing was true, but it was. It was mostly noticeable with
>> black text on a white background, which is much of what I use a
>> computer for.
>
> Sharpness depends, in part, on the brand you choose. There are 2 other
> differences
> between LCD and LED in monitors AND TVs. They are; LED "anything" costs
> less
> to run...less electricity, and the life of LED is far longer than plasma
> and also LCD.

As explained by Joep, LED screens are LCD screens. So stating that LED
has a longer life than LCD is like stating that a horn has a longer life
than an engine, so you'd better get the horn.

What _is_ true is that LEDs have a longer life than CCFL tubes used in
'regular' LCD screens. CCFL tubes lose a noticable amount of brightness
over time. The CCFLs in my own screen lost about 25% in 5 years of
extensive use (say 5 hours per day).

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 11-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Preston Hagar

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> Yes, I know that the image-forming technology is the same, but perhaps the
> folks who make LED sets use fewer pixels? I couldn't understand why
> what I was seeing was true, but it was. *It was mostly noticeable with
> black text on a white background, which is much of what I use a computer
> for.
>
> --doug

Did you check any of the settings on the displays? Usually, on most
monitors, you can either manually set the brightness,contrast,etc. or
they will have preset "modes" like "movie mode", "text mode" and
"gaming mode". Switching between these modes or manually adjusting
the brightness and contrast can greatly change the way a monitor
looks. Also, depending on the in-store display, they often have a
bank of 4-5 monitors running off of 1 PC/source with a splitter
splitting out the signal. Depending on the line a monitor is on or
what connection it is in the splitter can change the quality of the
picture (same goes for TVs as well). Some stores (Best buy, Fry's,
CompUsa, possibly others) will often have some monitors setup in a row
and then some directly attached to one computer. The ones attached
directly to one computer give you the truest sense of how you can get
the monitor to look.

You might go back in and try to fiddle with the settings if you didn't
before, or try to determine if they are being split out and that is
causing the loss of picture quality. I know back in the day (about 8
years ago) when I worked at Best Buy often our best TVs looked the
worst because they were at the end of the aisle and the signal had
been split about 3-4 times from the source by the time it got to them.