Old 11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
NoOp

Default Installed 11.04 on new hardware; no unity. What does it take?

On 11/01/2011 04:28 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:04:07 -0700
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video. I
>> installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity. However,
>> it said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome. What's up
>> with that?
>>
>> The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
>> Video card has 512MB cache.
>>
>> What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?
>>

> As a new moderator, what you need to do /first/ is figure out how to
> post in this mailing list following the well-laid-out and very available
> rules:
>
> See this part:
> ----------
> HTML mail
>
> Avoid sending emails in HTML format, if possible. Some people may find
> it more difficult to read or reply to these emails. Also, HTML email
> takes up more space, so people with restricted Internet access will be
> happier to receive plain text emails.
> ----------
>
> Then, after you have learned how to post correctly, maybe more folks
> will be willing to help.
> Will you really be a good moderator if you don't even try to follow
> the rules, yourself? I think, "not."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Ummm... I see no html, just:

> --0016367d62fe617e5104b0b45fc5
>
> I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video. I
> installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity. However, it
> said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome. What's up with
> that?
>
> The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
> Video card has 512MB cache.
>
> What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?
>
> --
> Kevin O'Gorman, PhD
>
> --0016367d62fe617e5104b0b45fc5
>
> I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video.=C2=A0 I in=
> stalled a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity.=C2=A0 However, it =
> said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome.=C2=A0 What's up=
> with that?<br>

> has 512MB cache.<br><br>What other specifics do I need to know to figure th=
>
> --0016367d62fe617e5104b0b45fc5--
>

> --===============1164071434441782277==

Care to explain why you do?

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 AM
NoOp

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DemystifyingUnityGraphicsHardwareRequirements
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NattyNarwhal/ReleaseNotes

Old 11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:04:08 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Ummm... I see no html, just:
[...]
> Care to explain why you do?

Claws mail shows this as message properties for Professor O'Gorman's
post:

message/rfc822 4.41KB
multipart/mixed 1.51KB
multipart/alternative 1.05KB
text/plain 389B
text/html 469B
text/plain 150B

Is that incorrect?

Your message, OTOH, and quoting the text parts of his, shows:

message/rfc822 6.00KB
text/plain 2.83KB

What is wrong with my HTML supposition? The properties plainly (heh)
show HTML as part of his post. Is Claws mail's information
mis-informing me?

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-02-2011, 04:28 AM
Marius Gedminas

On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 04:04:07PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video. I
> installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity. However, it
> said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome. What's up with
> that?
>
> The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
> Video card has 512MB cache.

(Nitpick: video memory is not usually called 'cache').

> What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?

The vendor and model of your video card.

Marius Gedminas
--
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself. And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 16:04:07 -0700
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video. *I
> > installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity. *However,
> > it said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome. *What's up
> > with that?
> >
> > The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
> > Video card has 512MB cache.
> >
> > What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?
> >

> As a new moderator, what you need to do /first/ is figure out how to
> post in this mailing list following the well-laid-out and very available
> rules:
>
> See this part:
is type usually, and do not use the various formatting thingies that I
would expect to create HTML (hmmm, well I have on occasion created a
link, which might do that, but did not on the subject email).

I've never had a complaint about HTML, nor ever had cause to suspect i
was sending such. With gmail, I'm not exactly sure how to tell,
although I know how to turn all formatting off during composition.
Perhaps I'll have to make a habit of that, but I notice that when I do
that to this email, some links in your (Cybe R) message get flattened.
I'm not sure who the culprit is.

None of this has to do with being a moderator, as that job does *not*
involve sending any mail at all to the list. Nor do I moderate
anything based on presence or absence of markup.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-02-2011, 05:48 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:40:45 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> None of this has to do with being a moderator, as that job does *not*
> involve sending any mail at all to the list. Nor do I moderate
> anything based on presence or absence of markup.

It does have to do with being a mod; mods are, whether we/you/they like
it or not, our examples. Be a good one. Show the GNUbies how to do right.

That said, do you have an nVidia card in your new(ish) kit? As Ric
said in another thread, try DLing nvidia-settings and configure that
<sudo>. Don't forget to save your changes!

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-02-2011, 05:51 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:28 PM, Marius Gedminas <marius@pov.lt> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 04:04:07PM -0700, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>> I just re-kitted a broken system with a new mainboard and video. *I
>> installed a fresh Natty, expecting it to come up in Unity. *However, it
>> said my system did not support Unity and gave me gnome. *What's up with
>> that?
>>
>> The mainboard runs 4-core AMD at 3.6 GHz, with 8 GB RAM.
>> Video card has 512MB cache.
>
> (Nitpick: video memory is not usually called 'cache').

Sorry. *Video details are not something I usually think about. *I just
told the store to give me something that would work with my new mobo.
I was reconstructing this from memory of what the store owner said to
me.

>> What other specifics do I need to know to figure this out?
>
> The vendor and model of your video card.

It turns out to be an MSI FUZION, with 512MB memory.

> Marius Gedminas

I should clarify -- it's not that I want Unity. *I don't. *I was just
surprised it did not come up that way.
After many decades of new whiz-bang features, I'm burned out. *I just
want to do my stuff using the widgets, gestures and capabilities I've
learned to use. *I certainly don't want to be wasting processing power
on creating weird visual effects.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-02-2011, 05:57 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:40:45 -0700
> "Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> None of this has to do with being a moderator, as that job does *not*
>> involve sending any mail at all to the list. *Nor do I moderate
>> anything based on presence or absence of markup.
>
> It does have to do with being a mod; mods are, whether we/you/they like
> it or not, our examples. *Be a good one. *Show the GNUbies how to do right.
>
> That said, do you have an nVidia card in your new(ish) kit? *As Ric
> said in another thread, try DLing nvidia-settings and configure that
> <sudo>. Don't forget to save your changes!

Nope, it's an MSI Fuzion. It seems to Just Work(TM).

As for causes, to get HTML I'd have had to click a "Rich formatting"
link, but I wasn't aware of it if I did. I suppose given the level of
exhaustion I've had during this, an accident may have happened. If
so, my apologies.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 11-02-2011, 12:03 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 23:57:39 -0700
"Kevin O'Gorman" <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]
> Nope, it's an MSI Fuzion. It seems to Just Work(TM).

The MSI sight claims that their cards combine the best of nVidia and
ATI. Lucky you, eh?
They have driver downloads, too, but you'll need to know which card
you have.

> As for causes, to get HTML I'd have had to click a "Rich formatting"
> link, but I wasn't aware of it if I did. I suppose given the level of
> exhaustion I've had during this, an accident may have happened. If
> so, my apologies.

Hey, it's plain text now. That's what counts, yes?
Good job!

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.