Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
"Jeff G."

Default NVIDIA 3D acceleration

On 11/01/2011 04:21 PM, ssc1478 wrote:

After upgrading (fresh install, actually) from natty to oneiric, 3D
effects don't seem to be working. When I go into Unity, there is no
dash. Only icons on the desktop can I launch. There is a type of
menu bar at the top that is for nautilus.

When I go into Gnome 3, things appear to work but there are no visual
effects like wobbly windows. (However, I don't really know what
visual effects I should expect in Gnome 3.)

The proprietary NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver is installed and
currently in use (msg from Additional Drivers.)

# glxinfo |grep rendering

returns

direct rendering: Yes
GL_NV_path_rendering, GL_NV_pixel_data_range, GL_NV_point_sprite,

I've troubleshooted with information from here:
http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#using-nvidia-xconfig
and here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/Nvidia

and most things that I tried check out. One from the debian site that
doesn't is this:

# grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf 2>&1|grep nvidia

There is nothing in xorg.conf except this:
Section "Device"
Identifier "Default Device"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

However, since I got that tip from a debian site I'm not sure if it
applies to ubuntu.

If anyone knows what else I could do, I would sure appreciate the
help! I am all out of ideas!

install nvidia-settings and use it to set up xorg.conf.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:15 PM
ssc1478

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Jeff G. <connyank@cox.net> wrote:
> On 11/01/2011 04:21 PM, ssc1478 wrote:
>>

> install nvidia-settings and use it to set up xorg.conf.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff.

It's already installed. I went into it and it looks correct.

Phil

Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Ric Moore