Old 11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
Linux Tyro

Default Speed effects in dual booted box

Hi,

A query regarding the speed of the system, it is as follows:

Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box (with windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were alone in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on system speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or Windows.

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What'swrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 11-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Hans Muecke

Am Dienstag, 1. November 2011, um 11:43:54 schrieb Linux Tyro:
> Hi,
>
> A query regarding the speed of the system, it is as follows:
>
> Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box (with
> windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were alone
> in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on system
> speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or
> Windows.

Can't confirm that ...

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (311 to go)

2011/11/01 16:50
EDDS 011650Z 33004KT CAVOK 12/07 Q1017 NOSIG

Old 11-01-2011, 04:28 PM
Colin Law

On 1 November 2011 16:43, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A query regarding the speed of the system, it is as follows:
>
> Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box (with
> windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were alone
> in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on system
> speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or
> Windows.

Assuming that you mean a full install of Ubuntu running from its own
partition (not running inside windows) then the fact that windows (or
any other OS) for that matter exists on another partition will have no
effect on the operation of Ubuntu.

> Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
> wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Yawn!

Colin

Old 11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
Linux Tyro

Assuming that you mean a full install of Ubuntu running from its own

partition (not running inside windows) then the fact that windows (or

any other OS) for that matter exists on another partition will have no

effect on the operation of Ubuntu.

Oh, confirmed now.
*
Yawn!
Take some rest and sleep!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Linux Tyro

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Hans Muecke <ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu> wrote:

> Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box (with

> windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were alone

> in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on system

> speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or

> Windows.

Can't confirm that ...

I forgot to add that Ubunt is not in virtual environment like inside Windows, however, it is clear from the OP that 'dual booted' is possible only if the partitions are separate (I guess I am true, if wrong, please let me know).

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Colin Law

On 1 November 2011 17:33, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Assuming that you mean a full install of Ubuntu running from its own
>> partition (not running inside windows) then the fact that windows (or
>> any other OS) for that matter exists on another partition will have no
>> effect on the operation of Ubuntu.
>
> Oh, confirmed now.

That's ok don't mention it. Oh you didn't

Colin

Old 11-01-2011, 04:41 PM
Colin Law

On 1 November 2011 17:36, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Hans Muecke
> <ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu> wrote:
>
>> > Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box
>> > (with
>> > windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were
>> > alone
>> > in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on
>> > system
>> > speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or
>> > Windows.
>>

>> Can't confirm that ...
>
> I forgot to add that Ubunt is not in virtual environment like inside
> Windows, however, it is clear from the OP that 'dual booted' is possible
> only if the partitions are separate (I guess I am true, if wrong, please let
> me know).

You are probably correct provided that the term is being used
accurately. Very often, however, confusion is called by the
accidental misuse of a term so it is often a good idea when answering
a question to check that the OP understood fully what he was asking.

Colin

Old 11-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Hans Muecke

Am Dienstag, 1. November 2011, um 12:36:51 schrieb Linux Tyro:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Hans Muecke <
>
> ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu> wrote:
> > Is the speed of general work (in Ubuntu) is slow in a dual booted box
> > (with
> >
> > > windows and ubuntu), as compared with the case when it (Ubuntu) were
> >
> > alone
> >
> > > in the hard disk. Does it (dual booting) really has some effects on
> >
> > system
> >
> > > speed also, like handling of task(s) (any) in either Ubuntu and / or
> > > Windows.
> >
> > Can't confirm that
> > ...<https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users>
>
> I forgot to add that Ubunt is not in virtual environment like inside
> Windows, however, it is clear from the OP that 'dual booted' is possible
> only if the partitions are separate (I guess I am true, if wrong, please
> let me know).

My understanding of "dual boot" is that both (or more) os are on seperate
partitions/hard disks. That's how I set up my machines, if I decide to keep
Windows (which I normaly don't do). Therefor I can't confirm any speede (or
other) effects.

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (311 to go)

2011/11/01 17:20
EDDS 011720Z 11003KT CAVOK 11/07 Q1017 NOSIG

Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM
Linux Tyro

My understanding of "dual boot" is that both (or more) os are on seperate

partitions/hard disks. That's how I set up my machines, if I decide to keep

Windows (which I normaly don't do). Therefor I can't confirm any speede (or

other) effects.
I think you are correct, other wise we cannot have dual booting options, if partition is one only, then we get booted with one distro only and the case is different that after booting on OS and from its desktop (virtually) we enter another distro.