Old 11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Linux Tyro

Default What should be the ideal CD/DVD burning speed

hi,

I burned images to the CD, however, with default I was happy, but what should be the ideal speed (max/min/intermediate) to burn the image over CD/DVD. The program I used was 'Brasero Disc Burner'. By default, it burns with the maximum speed (came to know when I clicked the properties' tab).

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What'swrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
CJ Tres

I burned images to the CD, however, with default I was happy, but what
should be the ideal speed (max/min/intermediate) to burn the image over
CD/DVD. The program I used was 'Brasero Disc Burner'. By default, it
burns with the maximum speed (came to know when I clicked the
properties' tab).

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Ubuntu LTS is good! <http://sites.google.com/site/whyilikeubuntu/>

Someone with more knowledge will probably respond but I prefer to use
8x due to possible errors (wasted media) with faster speeds. I'm never
in all that much of a hurry to get a disc burned.
Some media brands will have problems burning at higher speeds also, so
your choice of brand will make a difference.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Linux Tyro

Someone with more *knowledge will probably respond but I prefer to use 8x due to possible errors (wasted media) with faster speeds. I'm never in all that much of a hurry to get a disc burned.

Some media brands will have problems burning at higher speeds also, so your choice of brand will make a difference.
Okay but 'Brasero Disc Burner' by default burns at Maximum speed untill one chages it manually going into properties!!

--
================================================== =Ubuntu LTS is good!============================================= ======

Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Tue, 2011-11-01 at 17:38 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 5:25 PM, CJ Tres <ctres@grics.net> wrote:
>
> Someone with more knowledge will probably respond but I prefer to use 8x
> > due to possible errors (wasted media) with faster speeds. I'm never in all
> > that much of a hurry to get a disc burned.
> > Some media brands will have problems burning at higher speeds also, so
> > your choice of brand will make a difference.
> >

> Okay but 'Brasero Disc Burner' by default burns at Maximum speed untill one
> chages it manually going into properties!!

Well, that's the behavior that most people with newer hardware and
decent media want. On my system Brasero starts at about 18X and
gradually increases to somewhere around 40X (for a full CD) and at
around 4X, increasing to close to 16X for conventional DVDs. It seems
to use positive feedback loops to check operation and gradually increase
writing speeds. This is fairly a conservative strategy and is exactly
what I want. YMMV. It is easy to change the defaults. 3KB gives you
more options at the cost of loading large KDE libraries first. There
are about a half-dozen others that may have defaults more to your
liking.

AFAIK all burning programs in Linux are just front ends for Wodim
anyway. If you really want to control things and get the maximim info
on what happened (or why it failed), use that. Say man wodim in a
terminal to see.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 9:47, 1 user, load average: 0.03, 0.05, 0.05

Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Linux Tyro

AFAIK all burning programs in Linux are just front ends for Wodim

anyway. *If you really want to control things and get the maximim info

on what happened (or why it failed), use that. *Say man wodim in a

terminal to see.
Correct, IMHO, slow burning is good, people prefer (I guess) and this avoids error(s) (if any).

--
Ubuntu LTS is good!============================================= ======

Old 11-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Colin Law

On 1 November 2011 14:08, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Pongo A. Pan <pongo_pan@fastmail.us> wrote:
>
>> AFAIK all burning programs in Linux are just front ends for Wodim
>> anyway. *If you really want to control things and get the maximim info
>> on what happened (or why it failed), use that. *Say man wodim in a
>> terminal to see.
>
> Correct, IMHO, slow burning is good, people prefer (I guess) and this avoids
> error(s) (if any).

You should be able to go up to the speed marked on the discs. Though
I have sometimes found it necessary to go slower. Sometimes I think
cheap discs are marked optimistically. Alternatively perhaps my
writer is not too good.

Colin

Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Linux Tyro

I have sometimes found it necessary to go slower.*Apart from the reason that your burner is slower (as you say), there should not be any other other reason...?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Linux Tyro

Apart from the reason that your burner is slower (as you say), there should not be any other other reason...?
Correction: I meant 'writer' (not 'burner').