FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-01-2011, 01:22 AM
Douglas Saylor
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

Pictures say 1000 words ...these days I seem unable to get my point
across in words. As much as I HATE streaming video & YouTube, please
watch this BRIEF video (via recordMyDesktop)
http://youtu.be/miliELGmO5k

Thanks ahead of time!

Douglas S. Saylor

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On 1 November 2011 02:22, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> Pictures say 1000 words ...these days I seem unable to get my point
> across in words. As much as I HATE streaming video & YouTube, please
> watch this BRIEF video (via recordMyDesktop)
> http://youtu.be/miliELGmO5k

No bandwidth for videos, please put it in words. If the problem is
that windows keep maximising when you open them then say so as I may
be able to help. (Or that you wan them to maximise but they do not).

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Séamas Ó Brógáin
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

My windows constantly maximise themselves when I open them (Ubuntu 2D),
and I am glad to learn that there may be a way to stop them. Any more
information, Colin?





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On 1 November 2011 09:50, Séamas Ó Brógáin <sob@iol.ie> wrote:
> My windows constantly maximise themselves when I open them (Ubuntu 2D),
> and I am glad to learn that there may be a way to stop them. Any more
> information, Colin?

In Unity-2d to stop a large window from being automatically maximised:
gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/auto_maximize_windows false

In Unity-3D install ccsm (compiz config settings manager) and run it,
then in Desktop->Ubuntu Unity Plugin->Experimental set the
Automaximize Value setting to 100, which effectively disables
automaximizing.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Douglas Saylor
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On Nov 1, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> No bandwidth for videos, please put it in words.

No bandwidth? No hi-speed internet? Next time I'm about to complain
about YouTube video streaming speed I'll think of you. I'll try to
explain once, right click on a picture, "save as" window that comes
up, the save button if off the screen. I want, by default, that window
to open maximized.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On 1 November 2011 16:06, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 1, 2011, at 3:37 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> No bandwidth for videos, please put it in words.
>
> No bandwidth? No hi-speed internet? Next time I'm about to complain
> about YouTube video streaming speed I'll think of you. I'll try to
> explain once, right click on a picture, "save as" window that comes
> up, the save button if off the screen. I want, by default, that window

I don't believe that a dialog such as the SaveAs dialog can be opened
full screen. What you want is that it opens at a smaller size to
match your screen size.

A search on launchpad shows that others have the same problem. You
could attach yourself to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/774254

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Séamas Ó Brógáin
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

> In Unity-2d to stop a large window from being automatically maximised:
> gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/auto_maximize_windows false

Thanks, Colin. That seems to work, but not for Firefox (7.0.1). Does
Firefox do its own thing, I wonder?



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On 2 November 2011 11:45, Séamas Ó Brógáin <sob@iol.ie> wrote:
>> In Unity-2d to stop a large window from being automatically maximised:
>> gconftool-2 --type bool --set /apps/metacity/general/auto_maximize_windows false
>
> Thanks, Colin. That seems to work, but not for Firefox (7.0.1). Does
> Firefox do its own thing, I wonder?

It works ok for me on FF7.0.1. If I expand FF to fill most of the
screen then close FF down and re-open it it comes back as the same
size. Try disabling any addons you have installed in case it is one
of those causing he trouble. I have left enabled the Global Menubar
integration and Ubuntu FF Modifications addons.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Douglas Saylor
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't believe that a dialog such as the SaveAs dialog can be opened
> full screen. *What you want is that it opens at a smaller size to
> match your screen size.
>
> A search on launchpad shows that others have the same problem. *You
> could attach yourself to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/774254
>
> Colin

So much for "Ubuntu is great for netbooks". I've got a friend wanting
to go back to XP (!) because of *that* problem. He says, "If this
Linux crap is this poorly thought-out it's not for me". He's part
right too. I'm refusing to but XP back on his netbook, but he'll
probably purchase a Macbook Air ...wish I could join him. I'd
dual-boot, but for my purposes, I wonder if I'd ever find myself in
Linux/Ubuntu often?

The final push for me to use Linux for *me* was the "Netbook Remix"
...how soon that was forgotten.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Force windows to maximize on open

On 2 November 2011 16:43, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't believe that a dialog such as the SaveAs dialog can be opened
>> full screen. *What you want is that it opens at a smaller size to
>> match your screen size.
>>
>> A search on launchpad shows that others have the same problem. *You
>> could attach yourself to
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity/+bug/774254
>>
>> Colin
>
> So much for "Ubuntu is great for netbooks". I've got a friend wanting
> to go back to XP (!) because of *that* problem. He says, "If this
> Linux crap is this poorly thought-out it's not for me". He's part
> right too. I'm refusing to but XP back on his netbook, but he'll
> probably purchase a Macbook Air ...wish I could join him. I'd
> dual-boot, but for my purposes, I wonder if I'd ever find myself in
> Linux/Ubuntu often?

Did you add yourself to the bug? The more people say it is a problem
the more likely it is to be fixed.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org