Old 10-31-2011, 02:48 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Default Installing Xfce on a machine running Unity 3D

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:13:40 -0500
Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> On 10/30/2011 06:34 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:07:22 -0500
> > Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >> After trying Unity for awhile I just don't like it so I have been
> >> looking for a substitute. I've seen people recommend using Xfce
> >> or running Xubuntu. I ran Xubuntu in Virtual Box for awhile and
> >> like it. Before I wipe Unity from my laptop and installed Xubuntu
> >> I wanted to see what adding Xfce would do. I had 11.10 running in
> >> Virtual Box so I installed the Xfce desktop in it.
> >>
> >> One of the first things I noticed was the Unity style scrollbars
> >> were being used by apps running on the Xfce desktop. Since this
> >> style of scrollbar is one of the bigger annoyances I find in
> >> Unity it looks like a reinstall is the best way for me to proceed.
> >>
> >> Is this normal behavior? From what I read here I thought the two
> >> desktop systems were separate and distinct from each other.
> >>
> >> Regards, Jim
> >>
> > Why not just remove the offensive scrollbars?
> > <sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar>
> >
> > Cybe R. Wizard
>
> I had read that they could be removed, but I was just surprised that
> a Unity feature would show up on an Xfce desktop. I thought that they
> were completely separate. If I want to use Xfce I guess the cleanest
> route to go is just install Xunbutu.
>
> Thanks, Jim

Only if you want to bring in all the preferred Xubuntu programs. I
installed XFCE4 by itself, let it bring in only its own requirements
and am very happily using my standard mix of programs no matter who
wants me to use what. Same with LXDE instead of Lubuntu. It, also,
brings in the Lubuntu team's set programs which mimic the Ubuntu
choices but don't really replace them. Just LXDE (or XFCE4) and its own
dependencies is a lot easier on the old hard drive space, too.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 10/30/2011 10:48 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[...]

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I think I will play with it on VBox a
bit more before I commit to changing the laptop one way or the other.

Regards, Jim

Old 11-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Liam Proven

On 31 October 2011 01:13, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 06:34 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:07:22 -0500
>> Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> *wrote:
>>
>>> After trying Unity for awhile I just don't like it so I have been
>>> looking for a substitute. *I've seen people recommend *using Xfce *or
>>> running Xubuntu. *I ran Xubuntu in Virtual Box for awhile and like
>>> it. Before I wipe Unity from my laptop and installed Xubuntu I wanted
>>> to see what adding Xfce would do. *I had 11.10 running in Virtual Box
>>> so I installed the Xfce desktop in it.
>>>
>>> One of the first things I noticed was the Unity style scrollbars were
>>> being used by apps running on the Xfce desktop. *Since this style of
>>> scrollbar *is one of the bigger annoyances I find in Unity it looks
>>> like a reinstall is the best way for me to proceed.
>>>
>>> Is this normal behavior? *From what I read here I thought the two
>>> desktop systems were separate and distinct from each other.
>>>
>>> Regards, Jim
>>>
>> Why not just remove the offensive scrollbars?
>> *<sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar>
>>
>> Cybe R. Wizard
>
> I had read that they could be removed, but I was just surprised that a Unity
> feature would show up on an Xfce desktop. I thought that they were
> completely separate. *If I want to use Xfce I guess the cleanest route to go
> is just install Xunbutu.

GNOME, Unity and Xfce are all based on the GTK+ programming libraries.
So if Unity has applied a special theme to GTK, Xfce on the same
install will inherit it.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 11/02/2011 01:00 PM, Liam Proven wrote:

[...]

Someone else mentioned basically the same thing but did not go into the
GTK detail. Thanks for the additional info.

Regards, Jim