FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:45 AM
Linux Tyro
 
Default ip address query

hi,

When I click and find my ip address at the site:

http://www.whatismyip.com

I get an ip address but I have set the ip address as:

192.168.1.108



The default gate-way is :

192.168.1.1

and the same (192.168.1.1) is alternate dns. Subnet mask is

255.255.255.0

Then why is this happening that the two ip-addresses are so different? What does this really showing?


--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

================================================== =


Ubuntu LTS is good!
================================================== =

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Rashkae
 
Default ip address query

On 10/30/2011 10:45 PM, Linux Tyro wrote:

Then why is this happening that the two ip-addresses are so different? What
does this really showing?

The 192.168.1.108 is an internal IP address. Anything in the
192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x is reserved for use on private networks and not
routable on the Internet. Typically, there is a NAT gateway (in your
case, probably one of the so called 'routers'.) that receives a real
Internet address from your ISP and uses NAT (Network Address
Translation) to share that Ip with all the devices on your internal
network configured with the 192.168.1 subnet.


The address that whatismyip shows is the real internet address that the
ISP has granted your router. That's the only IP address network hosts
can see. What goes on on the other side of the router stays in Vagas.




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:58 AM
"Sharl.Jimh.Tsin"
 
Default ip address query

在 2011-10-31一的 08:15 +0530,Linux Tyro写道:
> hi,
>
> When I click and find my ip address at the site:
>
> http://www.whatismyip.com
>
> I get an ip address but I have set the ip address as:
>
> 192.168.1.108
>
> The default gate-way is :
>
> 192.168.1.1
>
> and the same (192.168.1.1) is alternate dns. Subnet mask is
>
> 255.255.255.0
>
> Then why is this happening that the two ip-addresses are so different?
> What does this really showing?
>
> --
> Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says,
> "What's
> wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"
>
> ================================================== =
> Ubuntu LTS is good!
> ================================================== =

that's right.the ip address the "whatismyip.com" website gives you is
your address of outter networking.

the address starts with "192.168.*" is your inner ip address.

--
Best regards,
Sharl.Jimh.Tsin (From China **Obviously Taiwan INCLUDED**)

Using Gmail? Please read this important notice:
http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/jstrap/gmail?10073.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 05:57 AM
Linux Tyro
 
Default ip address query

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:



The 192.168.1.108 is an internal IP address. *Anything in the 192.168.x.x 10.x.x.x is reserved for use on private networks and not routable on the Internet. *Typically, there is a NAT gateway (in your case, probably one of the so called 'routers'.) that receives a real Internet address from your ISP and uses NAT (Network Address Translation) to share that Ip with all the devices on your internal network configured with the 192.168.1 subnet.




The address that whatismyip shows is the real internet address that the ISP has granted your router. *That's the only IP address network hosts can see. *What goes on on the other side of the router stays in Vagas.


On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Sharl.Jimh.Tsin <amoiz.shine@gmail.com> wrote:





that's right.the ip address the "whatismyip.com" website gives you is

your address of outter networking.



the address starts with "192.168.*" is your inner ip address.



Well said that, I now that that is the ip-address I have been provided by the isp. As a matter of interest, there is much ambiguity regarding this confusing 'ip-address' topic and this is as follows:


Like each of us is having an ip-address to communicate over internet, correct. But each website is also having an ip address! Now what's that, while on one side we (each host) needs an ip address - for communication over network or networks - called internet, okay correct and each websites has its ip address. Now these two ip address are aslo different? Not really that confusing but typical for me...!


When we create a website of our own, then we need a ip address and we cannot use the one we actually have from our isp for this purpose?

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"======================================== ===========
Ubuntu LTS is good!============================================= ======



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Steve Flynn
 
Default ip address query

On 31 October 2011 06:57, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:

> When we create a website of our own, then we need a ip address and we cannot
> use the one we actually have from our isp for this purpose?

Nope - you can run a web server on your local machine and when I
browse your hosted website, I'll be talking to your machine on your
WAN address (the internet facing IP address) - the address allocated
to you by your ISP. However, when you query other machines in your
home network, they will have 192.168.* or 10.* addresses.

Think of it as your WAN address is your real postal address - 10 Front
Street, whereas your internal 192.168. addresses are the various rooms
in your house. Anyone who wants to come in to your house needs your
external address, but once they are in they can visit any room. Your
router acts as your front door.

That's a fairly weak analogy but it'll suffice...


--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 10:36 AM
David Fletcher
 
Default ip address query

On Mon, 2011-10-31 at 11:24 +0000, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 31 October 2011 06:57, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Think of it as your WAN address is your real postal address - 10 Front
> Street, whereas your internal 192.168. addresses are the various rooms
> in your house. Anyone who wants to come in to your house needs your
> external address, but once they are in they can visit any room. Your
> router acts as your front door.
>
> That's a fairly weak analogy but it'll suffice...
>

To get to the correct room from outside, though, you'll need to set up
port forwarding on the router.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Linux Tyro
 
Default ip address query

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 4:54 PM, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb@gmail.com> wrote:


On 31 October 2011 06:57, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:



> When we create a website of our own, then we need a ip address and we cannot

> use the one we actually have from our isp for this purpose?



Nope - you can run a web server on your local machine and when I
browse your hosted website, I'll be talking to your machine on your

WAN address (the internet facing IP address) - the address allocated

to you by your ISP. However, when you query other machines in your

home network, they will have 192.168.* or 10.* addresses.


For running a web server on my local machine, I would create the web-server (with the ip given to me by my isp, is it like this....?), but in fact if you will talk to that machine (i.e., to that web-server which was created on the local machine), you would connect with an ip-address (of course), and that ip address is the one given by my isp to me.....? My hosted website, that is the created web-server on my local machine is in this case using the ip address given to me by my isp...? And it is the same ip address from which I surfing websites too..

*

Think of it as your WAN address is your real postal address - 10 Front

Street, whereas your internal 192.168. addresses are the various rooms

in your house. Anyone who wants to come in to your house needs your

external address, but once they are in they can visit any room. Your

router acts as your front door.


Oh I see.

*



That's a fairly weak analogy but it'll suffice...



Not weak, but I got the idea, its a good analogy.
--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"======================================== ===========
Ubuntu LTS is good!============================================= ======

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM
Steve Flynn
 
Default ip address query

On 31 October 2011 12:13, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
> For running a web server on my local machine, I would create the web-server
> (with the ip given to me by my isp, is it like this....?), but in fact if
> you will talk to that machine (i.e., to that web-server which was created on
> the local machine), you would connect with an ip-address (of course), and
> that ip address is the one given by my isp to me.....? My hosted website,
> that is the created web-server on my local machine is in this case using the
> ip address given to me by my isp...? And it is the same ip address from
> which I surfing websites too..

Yep - exactly.

--
Steve

When one person suffers from a delusion it is insanity. When many
people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Colin Law
 
Default ip address query

On 31 October 2011 12:13, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> For running a web server on my local machine, I would create the web-server

If you are making a web server available to the internet please make
sure that you understand the security implications of this and know
how to make your webserver safe from attacks. I fear from your
questions that you do not currently have this knowledge. You will
have much research and reading to do.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse"
 
Default ip address query

On Mon, October 31, 2011 12:24, Steve Flynn wrote:
> On 31 October 2011 06:57, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> When we create a website of our own, then we need a ip address and we
>> cannot
>> use the one we actually have from our isp for this purpose?
>
> Nope - you can run a web server on your local machine and when I
> browse your hosted website, I'll be talking to your machine on your
> WAN address (the internet facing IP address) - the address allocated
> to you by your ISP. However, when you query other machines in your
> home network, they will have 192.168.* or 10.* addresses.

Everybody forgets the 172.16.0.0 ? 172.31.255.255 range...

> Think of it as your WAN address is your real postal address - 10 Front
> Street, whereas your internal 192.168. addresses are the various rooms
> in your house. Anyone who wants to come in to your house needs your
> external address, but once they are in they can visit any room. Your
> router acts as your front door.
>
> That's a fairly weak analogy but it'll suffice...

TS should take a look at http://www.warriorsofthe.net/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org