Old 10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Installing Xfce on a machine running Unity 3D

After trying Unity for awhile I just don't like it so I have been
looking for a substitute. I've seen people recommend using Xfce or
running Xubuntu. I ran Xubuntu in Virtual Box for awhile and like it.
Before I wipe Unity from my laptop and installed Xubuntu I wanted to see
what adding Xfce would do. I had 11.10 running in Virtual Box so I
installed the Xfce desktop in it.

One of the first things I noticed was the Unity style scrollbars were
being used by apps running on the Xfce desktop. Since this style of
scrollbar is one of the bigger annoyances I find in Unity it looks like
a reinstall is the best way for me to proceed.

Is this normal behavior? From what I read here I thought the two
desktop systems were separate and distinct from each other.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 18:07:22 -0500
Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> After trying Unity for awhile I just don't like it so I have been
> looking for a substitute. I've seen people recommend using Xfce or
> running Xubuntu. I ran Xubuntu in Virtual Box for awhile and like
> it. Before I wipe Unity from my laptop and installed Xubuntu I wanted
> to see what adding Xfce would do. I had 11.10 running in Virtual Box
> so I installed the Xfce desktop in it.
>
> One of the first things I noticed was the Unity style scrollbars were
> being used by apps running on the Xfce desktop. Since this style of
> scrollbar is one of the bigger annoyances I find in Unity it looks
> like a reinstall is the best way for me to proceed.
>
> Is this normal behavior? From what I read here I thought the two
> desktop systems were separate and distinct from each other.
>
> Regards, Jim

Why not just remove the offensive scrollbars?
<sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar>

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-31-2011, 12:13 AM
Jim Byrnes

On 10/30/2011 06:34 PM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

[...]

I had read that they could be removed, but I was just surprised that a
Unity feature would show up on an Xfce desktop. I thought that they were
completely separate. If I want to use Xfce I guess the cleanest route
to go is just install Xunbutu.

Thanks, Jim