FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Pop Horea-Vasile
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

Hello,
I have a laptop msi cx623 -- CPU: i3-390M, VGA: NVIDIA Geforce 310M/1GB
DDR3 wth Linux Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot -- 11.10.

What do you know about water cooling for laptops ?
Can it be done and how ?
Clearly something it must be done regarding this problem of to many
degrees. What to tell abot global waming and the traditional cooling
system that keeps the temperature of the processor above enviroment temp
with 40 C in reality.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:31 AM
Ernest Doub
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

First, there is no way to get the necessary plumbing inside the case of any laptop currently available.

Second, if you ~could~ engineer a way to get around problem number one
you have the problem of powering the cooling system when your computer
isn't plugged into a wall outlet for power.

Water cooling systems use bulky [and noisy] hardware and take more power
than any portable system can manage.* If you are capable of lugging
around a large car battery in addition to the rest of the hardware
required you could probably get about 2 hours of cooling.

All in all, not very practical.
*
--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”* - from a Facebook viral video
*

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Pop Horea-Vasile
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

I didn't knowed those aspects.

Then how we can improve the cooling system ?

Can coolers with ventilators be improved ?

On 10/31/2011 04:31 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:




First, there is no way to get the necessary plumbing inside the
case of any laptop currently available.

Second, if you ~could~ engineer a way to get around problem
number one you have the problem of powering the cooling system
when your computer isn't plugged into a wall outlet for power.

Water cooling systems use bulky [and noisy] hardware and take
more power than any portable system can manage.* If you are
capable of lugging around a large car battery in addition to the
rest of the hardware required you could probably get about 2
hours of cooling.

All in all, not very practical.

*

--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users








--



“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for
the problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a
baseball cap.”* - from a Facebook viral video

*











--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

On 31 October 2011 11:32, Pop Horea-Vasile <pop.horea@lnxopensource.com> wrote:
>
> I didn't knowed those aspects.
> Then how we can improve the cooling system ?
> Can coolers with ventilators be improved ?

How do you know that overheating is a problem for you? Are the fan(s)
running ok?

Colin

> On 10/31/2011 04:31 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:
>
> First, there is no way to get the necessary plumbing inside the case of any laptop currently available.
> Second, if you ~could~ engineer a way to get around problem number one you have the problem of powering the cooling system when your computer isn't plugged into a wall outlet for power.
> Water cooling systems use bulky [and noisy] hardware and take more power than any portable system can manage.* If you are capable of lugging around a large car battery in addition to the rest of the hardware required you could probably get about 2 hours of cooling.
> All in all, not very practical.
>
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-users mailing list
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
>
>
> --
>
> “If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.”* - from a Facebook viral video
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>



--
gplus.to/clanlaw

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
2���׍��^���aj�!���[��ƫrb��'������{�j�!� ޖ+ޯ'Z��}Nrݴ�xӝ���z+���W^j !�)����x�����h
 
Old 10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
R Kimber
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 15:44:35 +0200
Pop Horea-Vasile wrote:

> Hello,
> I have a laptop msi cx623 -- CPU: i3-390M, VGA: NVIDIA Geforce 310M/1GB
> DDR3 wth Linux Ubuntu Oneiric Ocelot -- 11.10.
> What do you know about water cooling for laptops ?
> Can it be done and how ?
> Clearly something it must be done regarding this problem of to many
> degrees. What to tell abot global waming and the traditional cooling
> system that keeps the temperature of the processor above enviroment temp
> with 40 C in reality.

I'm not sure it's the new Gnome per se, as the subject implies. I think
it's the new kernel. Try using an older kernel.

I use xfce and find that the new kernel runs 5-10 degrees hotter than
previous ones. I'm currently using 2.6.38-10-generic.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 01:13 PM
Pop Horea
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

The fan is working but with gnome 3 and the new generation of processors
from intel : i3 , it is quite difficult to maintain an acceptable
temperature. 68 degrees it is to much I think. Manually can I set the
fan under Linux Ubuntu ? Do I find fan replacements if it fails?

On 10/31/2011 01:55 PM, Colin Law wrote:

On 31 October 2011 11:32, Pop Horea-Vasile<pop.horea@lnxopensource.com> wrote:

I didn't knowed those aspects.
Then how we can improve the cooling system ?
Can coolers with ventilators be improved ?

How do you know that overheating is a problem for you? Are the fan(s)
running ok?

Colin


On 10/31/2011 04:31 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:

First, there is no way to get the necessary plumbing inside the case of any laptop currently available.
Second, if you ~could~ engineer a way to get around problem number one you have the problem of powering the cooling system when your computer isn't plugged into a wall outlet for power.
Water cooling systems use bulky [and noisy] hardware and take more power than any portable system can manage. If you are capable of lugging around a large car battery in addition to the rest of the hardware required you could probably get about 2 hours of cooling.
All in all, not very practical.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.” - from a Facebook viral video





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
gplus.to/clanlaw




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2011, 04:35 PM
Ernest Doub
 
Default Solutions for overheating with the new gnome ?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 7:13 AM, Pop Horea <pop.horea@yahoo.com> wrote:

The fan is working but with gnome 3 and the new generation of processors from intel : i3 , it is quite difficult to maintain an acceptable temperature. *68 degrees it is to much I think. Manually can I set the fan under Linux Ubuntu ? Do I find fan replacements if it fails?


On 10/31/2011 01:55 PM, Colin Law wrote:


On 31 October 2011 11:32, Pop Horea-Vasile<pop.horea@lnxopensource.com> *wrote:


I didn't knowed those aspects.

Then how we can improve the cooling system ?

Can coolers with ventilators be improved ?


How do you know that overheating is a problem for you? *Are the fan(s)

running ok?



Colin




On 10/31/2011 04:31 AM, Ernest Doub wrote:



First, there is no way to get the necessary plumbing inside the case of any laptop currently available.

Second, if you ~could~ engineer a way to get around problem number one you have the problem of powering the cooling system when your computer isn't plugged into a wall outlet for power.

Water cooling systems use bulky [and noisy] hardware and take more power than any portable system can manage. *If you are capable of lugging around a large car battery in addition to the rest of the hardware required you could probably get about 2 hours of cooling.


All in all, not very practical.




--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users






--



“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.” *- from a Facebook viral video











--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users








--

gplus.to/clanlaw








The first thing you need to do is make sure that the existing cooling system is working at maximum efficiency.
Start with a compressed air source, either canned air or a compressor with an efficient water and oil trapping system [ getting oily residue in your cooling system will only add to your problems] and blow out the fans and all of the case ports until no dust comes out.

You will be amazed at the amount of dust you have collected if your laptop is operating in a typical environment.* While you are at it you might as well blow out the keyboard too.
After you have all the internals working at max the only way to improve the hardware situation is to get more cool air into the case by using a laptop cooling pad to move the heat away from the case and force extra cool air into the intakes.

Also, you state that the temp. is 68 degrees.* Is that Fahrenheit or Centigrade?***
If you are still experiencing problems then you need to turn off extra running processes that are causing extra processor cycles.* They all add up to more heat so the less* load the less heat.


--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--

“If I had a dollar for every time that capitalism was blamed for the
problems caused by government, I’d be a fat filmmaker with a baseball
cap.”* - from a Facebook viral video
*

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:27 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org