Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Linux Tyro

Default whether my system is 32 bit o 64 bit?

hi,

* How could I know if I am running a 64 bit
version or 32 bit, any command... or like that?

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's

wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 30 October 2011 08:20, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> * How could I know if I am running a 64 bit version or 32 bit, any
> command... or like that?
hakan@hakan-laptop:08:10:16:~$ arch
x86_64

Old 10-30-2011, 07:31 AM
Nils Kassube

Linux Tyro wrote:
> How could I know if I am running a 64 bit version or 32 bit, any
> command... or like that?

Run the command

uname -a

in a terminal. If it is a 64 bit system, thare should be "x86_64
GNU/Linux" at the end of the output. Otherwise it is 32 bit.

Nils

Old 10-30-2011, 07:32 AM
Linux Tyro

Old 10-30-2011, 07:33 AM
Linux Tyro

in a terminal. If it is a 64 bit system, thare should be "x86_64

GNU/Linux" at the end of the output. Otherwise it is 32 bit.
'uname -a' yields:

Linux myfamily-desktop 2.6.32-34-generic #77-Ubuntu SMP Tue Sep 13 19:40:53 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

Old 10-30-2011, 07:43 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 30 October 2011 08:32, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> i686 is it 64 bit?
32 bit.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:48 AM
Linux Tyro

2011/10/30 Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org>

> i686 is it 64 bit?

32 bit.
Okay.

But why was I confused, as read on net (google) that when invoked the command:

myfamily@myfamily-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo

The output has one of the lines as follows:

'model name*** : Intel(R) Pentium(R)* CPU****** E5200* @ 2.50GHz'

and it was written that E5200 was 64 bit, but as confirmed by the command ('i686'), now its 32 bit.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:58 AM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 30 October 2011 08:48, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> The output has one of the lines as follows:
> 'model name*** : Intel(R) Pentium(R)* CPU****** E5200* @ 2.50GHz'
> and it was written that E5200 was 64 bit, but as confirmed by the command
> ('i686'), now its 32 bit.
Your CPU (and PC) is capable of using an 64 bit OS but for whatever
reason, you have chosen to install the 32 bit version in the past. For
a number of years, there are really no good reasons to do this (even
though various people claim it to be otherwise).

Next time you're installing it, make sure that you got the 64 bit
version. Ubuntu download page used to force people the 32 bit ISO when
they weren't sure what they were running, this still might be the
case.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Linux Tyro

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:

Your CPU (and PC) is capable of using an 64 bit OS but for whatever

reason, you have chosen to install the 32 bit version in the past. For

a number of years, there are really no good reasons to do this (even

though various people claim it to be otherwise).

I didn't know this that I was capable of installing 64 bit OS or else I could have gone for it.
*

Next time you're installing it, make sure that you got the 64 bit

version. Ubuntu download page used to force people the 32 bit ISO when

they weren't sure what they were running, this still might be the

case.
Does Ubuntu offer 64 bit download for ubuntu LTS only?

Old 10-30-2011, 08:12 AM
Colin Law

On 30 October 2011 08:48, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/10/30 Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org>
>
>> > i686 is it 64 bit?
>> 32 bit.
>
> Okay.
>
> But why was I confused, as read on net (google) that when invoked the
> command:
>
> myfamily@myfamily-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> The output has one of the lines as follows:
>
> 'model name*** : Intel(R) Pentium(R)* CPU****** E5200* @ 2.50GHz'
>
> and it was written that E5200 was 64 bit, but as confirmed by the command
> ('i686'), now its 32 bit.

uname is telling you which version of Ubuntu you have installed,
cpuinfo is telling you about the processor. The 32 bit version of
Ubuntu that you have installed will run on 32 or 64 bit processors.

Colin