Old 10-30-2011, 05:35 AM
Jon Anderson

Default Want to try linux lime with Ubuntu and win xp

I have Windows XP and ubuntu11.10 on two partitions I want to download
linux lime also will it allow me to make another partition so I can run
all three or is their any way I can run all three

Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Avi Greenbury

Jon Anderson wrote:

> I have Windows XP and ubuntu11.10 on two partitions I want to
> download linux lime also will it allow me to make another partition
> so I can run all three or is their any way I can run all three

This depends upon the linux lime installer. I can't find much
documentation on 'linux lime' but a lot of things point me at Linux
Mint - is it a variant of that?

In general, though, Linux installers are good at not interfering with
existing OSs, and instead install alongside and offer a boot menu,
much as Ubuntu presumably did for you with Windows. You just need to
make sure you've enough space and partitions.

If you've already got four partitions and none of them are extended,
you will find that you cannot create any more. There's a limit of four
'logical' partitions per device and so as a sort-of workaround it's
common to make the fourth an 'extended' one, which can itself contain
more. Ubuntu should have done this on install for you.

You'd also need to check where you want the space to come from. If
only one of your partitions is in an extended one, then that's the
only one you can resize to fit the new install alongside. If more than
one is, then you'd want to make sure in advance that you check which
partitions you can afford to lose space from to give to this new
install.

--
Avi

Old 10-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Jon Anderson

It is linux mint ,I wrote down the wrong name ,I have two partitions now
, will mint make a new partition or do I have to make it myself with
gparted ,If I do that how do I direct the mint download to that new
partition,. So if i make the partition myself ,should I make it a
logical partition or what?

Old 10-30-2011, 04:52 PM
Doug