Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 AM
Jon Anderson

Default ubuntu 11.10 freezes

Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help
it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on
trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux
mint is a program to try

Old 10-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Colin Law

On 30 October 2011 06:32, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
> *Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help it
> from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on trying
> that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux mint is a
> program to try

Ubuntu should not freeze, if you are getting it regularly then there
is something wrong with your system. If you can provide some more
information then someone may be able to help. Let us know the version
of ubuntu you are using and some information about your hardware. Run
the System Monitor and see what it says on the System page. Also can
you give more details of the freeze. What exactly happens? Is it
when you are doing something in particular?

Have you tried running memtest from the boot menu, preferably for
several hours, to see if it reports any problems. Also have a look at
the disk status in Disk Utilities to see if it suggests any problems.

It is most unlikely that changing to a Lubuntu or Mint would help as
they are both based on the same underlying software. In fact Lubuntu
is identical to Ubuntu except for the window manager.

Colin

Old 10-30-2011, 12:35 PM
R Kimber

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 01:32:03 -0500
Jon Anderson wrote:

> Isn't there a few things that I can turn off in Ubuntu to maybe help
> it from freezing. I thought of loading Lubuntu, what is your thought on
> trying that to maybe stop this freezing. And I was told that maybe linux
> mint is a program to try

You could try a previous kernel to see if that's any better. I'm using
2.6.38-10-generic, partly because I experienced some freezing with 3.0.0 and
partly because the latter runs 5-10 degrees hotter for some reason.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 10-30-2011, 03:42 PM
Jon Anderson

This is been going on over a year through 3 different ubuntu's 10.10.
11.04 and 11.10, I Done just about everything ran remtest for 15 hours
,I believe it is the mother board, tried 3 different vidio cards. I
remember there is a couple of things a person can turn off that
sometimes are a problem I did it with the last two Ops system. This one
11.10 is the closest to being stable i wanted to try to turn off the
trouble makers but can't remember what they are . maybe compiz, unity
and 3d anybody.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Colin Law

On 30 October 2011 16:42, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
> This is been going on over a year through 3 different ubuntu's 10.10. 11.04
> and 11.10, I Done just about everything ran remtest for 15 hours ,I believe
> it is the mother board, tried 3 different vidio cards. I remember there is a
> couple of things a person can turn off that sometimes are a problem I did it
> with the last two Ops system. This one 11.10 is the closest to being stable
> i wanted to try to turn off the trouble makers but can't remember what they
> are . maybe compiz, unity and 3d anybody.

It does sound like you have a hardware problem of some sort.
Try using unity-2d, that gets rid of compiz and clever graphics stuff.
At the logon screen click the wheel above the password and select 2d

Presumably there is nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the
problem. If not then I believe overheating is a possibility.

Perhaps a new machine or mother board would be the best plan.

Colin

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 10-31-2011, 05:24 AM
Jon Anderson

It does sound like you have a hardware problem of some sort.
Try using unity-2d, that gets rid of compiz and clever graphics stuff.
At the logon screen click the wheel above the password and select 2d

Presumably there is nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the
problem. If not then I believe overheating is a possibility.

Perhaps a new machine or mother board would be the best plan.

Colin
Ya I agree been looking for something I can afford and have to put a few dollars together to get it.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Bruce Pieterse

On Oct 31, 2011 8:25 AM, "Jon Anderson" <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:

> It does sound like you have a hardware problem of some sort.

> Try using unity-2d, that gets rid of compiz and clever graphics stuff.

> *At the logon screen click the wheel above the password and select 2d

> Presumably there is nothing in the logs to indicate the cause of the

> problem. *If not then I believe overheating is a possibility.

> Perhaps a new machine or mother board would be the best plan.

> Colin

> *Ya I agree been looking for something I can afford and have to put a few dollars together to get it.

You can also try cleaning your machine inside, remove the fan from the heatsink and clear the dust from there. You could also change the fan settings so that the rpm's are faster and cool you cpu a little bit quicker, but it might be little bit noisy until you get an upgrade.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:00 PM
NoOp

On 10/30/2011 09:42 AM, Jon Anderson wrote:
> This is been going on over a year through 3 different ubuntu's 10.10.
> 11.04 and 11.10, I Done just about everything ran remtest for 15 hours
> ,I believe it is the mother board, tried 3 different vidio cards. I
> remember there is a couple of things a person can turn off that
> sometimes are a problem I did it with the last two Ops system. This one
> 11.10 is the closest to being stable i wanted to try to turn off the
> trouble makers but can't remember what they are . maybe compiz, unity
> and 3d anybody.

I have a machine that has a similar problem. Started with 10.10 & now
11.04.

Odd part is that it is only the screen display/gdm that freezes; mouse &
keyboard works. I can use NX to the machine & NX brings up a new display
just fine, so it's not a gpu lockup[1]. I can also ctrl-alt-f1 and '$
sudo service gdm restart' and restart gdm just fine. Checking top from
the NX login typically shows compiz at about 78% cpu, so I'm thinking
it's compiz related (I've no screensavers set - only blank screen). I'll
have to dig into the logs the next time it happens.

Do you have a second machine that you can use connect to the machine
when it happens? Are your keyboard & mouse still functinal when it freezes?

[1] NX uses a different window display than the existing user, even if
you login via NX as the same user.