Old 10-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Leo Noordhuizen

Default Advise

Hello all,

I could use some advise....
I am planning to replace my current desktop system with new hardware and I am thinking of the following:Processor Intel Core I7-2600

8 Gbyte memoryA motherboard with USB 3.0 and fast SataPossibly a SSD of 60 or 120 GbyeMy use of the system is mainly Browsing, software development (Python, some Ruby), and Photo applications. (Raw converters, GIMP, etc)

The SSD I intend to use for binaries and as a place to store the photo images I am going to work on.
I am having the follwoing thoughts:For 8 Gbye memory I need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu. Are there many applications which are not available for 64 bits ?*

The I7 processor has a graphics processor on board. As I dont need high performace graphics, can I use that ? Is it reliably supported under Ubuntu ?*How well is SSD support integrated ? I have heard that SSD's should not be used in situations where many writing thio the SSD takes place.

I also wonder whether it is wise to build the system myself. I want to have some low-noise componentsAny advise what to do or what not to do regardign above mentioned points (or other points I forgot to mention) would be very welcome and appreciated.

Leo Noordhuizen - The Netherlands

Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 AM
Doug

I am planning to replace my current desktop system with new
hardware and I am thinking of the following:

Processor Intel Core I7-2600
8 Gbyte memory
A motherboard with USB 3.0 and fast Sata
Possibly a SSD of 60 or 120 Gbye

My use of the system is mainly Browsing, software
development (Python, some Ruby), and Photo applications. (Raw
converters, GIMP, etc)
The SSD I intend to use for binaries and as a place to
store the photo images I am going to work on.

I am having the follwoing thoughts:

For 8 Gbye memory I need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu. Are
there many applications which are not available for 64 bits
?*
The I7 processor has a graphics processor on board. As I
dont need high performace graphics, can I use that ? Is it
reliably supported under Ubuntu ?*
How well is SSD support integrated ? I have heard that
SSD's should not be used in situations where many writing
thio the SSD takes place.
I also wonder whether it is wise to build the system
myself. I want to have some low-noise components

Any advise what to do or what not to do regardign above
mentioned points (or other points I forgot to mention) would
be very welcome and appreciated.

Leo Noordhuizen - The Netherlands

I'm not sure there is at present a mobo with usb3 on board, and that
might not be the best choice anyway--you'd have to

look at the other features.* There was a post within the past day or
so regarding a usb3 pci or pci-e card that works well with

Ubuntu. I believe it has an NEC chipset. That would provide you with
a wide range of mobo choices.

--doug

Old 10-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Doug

[...]

Here's a quote from the pclos forum of just a few hours ago:

What is the state of support on Linux?

The NEC PD720200 is the most widely used and tested USB 3.0
chipset. For Linux, kernel driver code was first provided in
kernel 2.6.31. Driver code is in drivers/usb/host/xhci*. USB 3.0
has been receiving active work and improvements in later
kernels.

Just do a search for "linux usb3 card". There's lots of info.

So if you find a card or a mobo with that chipset, you ought to be
in good shape.

--doug

Old 10-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Avi Greenbury

Leo Noordhuizen wrote:

> - For 8 Gbye memory I need the 64 bit version of Ubuntu. Are there
> many applications which are not available for 64 bits ?

No you don't - you can access up to 64GB of ram with the 32-bit kernel.
What the 64-bit one does, though, is let processes have access to more
than 2GB of RAM each (which would be handy) and increase the speed of
many of the operations involved in image manipulation.

I've not come across anything that doesn't work on 64 bit for a while.
For several years it's only been Adobe Flash that was unhappy (you had
to run the 32 bit one through a wrapper) but I gather the new one is
natively 64-bit. Either way, it's stable now.

So you do want an amd64 kernel, just not for the reason you thought you
did

--
Avi

Old 10-30-2011, 09:47 PM
"compdoc"

>• The I7 processor has a graphics processor on board. As I dont need high performance graphics, can I use that ? Is it reliably supported under Ubuntu ?
*
I don’t believe the i7 has onboard graphics, although it does support certain video technologies. The motherboard you purchase can have on-board video which is typically Intel based and is part of the chipset. On-board video will likely take up some of your 8 Gigs of ram.
*
There's no way to tell if that will suit your needs. Try it and if not, you can add a nice pci-e video card that will go as fast as you care to pay.
*
*
>• How well is SSD support integrated ? I have heard that SSD's should not be used in situations where many writing thio the SSD takes place.
*
I think SSD support has been included in Ubuntu for at least a couple of releases now. I have two SSD drives booting two systems. One system is running 24/7 and is recording security cameras. The other is running mythtv, which streams live TV into a bedroom. It gets turned on once or twice a day, runs a few hours, and gets turned off. No problems with either.
*
SSDs are fast. Mine test at more than twice the throughput of most desktop hard drives.
*
A few things I have come to believe about SSD:
*
1) You should enable and use sata AHCI in the mainboard bios for the SSD(s).
2) You should backup your files nightly because the long term reliability of the various brands of SSD are not yet proven.
*
*
>• I also wonder whether it is wise to build the system myself. I want to have some low-noise components
*
If you choose wisely, you can build a system that’s nicer than any complete systems you can buy. There's an IRC channel on Freenode called ##hardware that can give you great advice on Intel hardware. While there, you can also visit the official support channel: #ubuntu
*
I don’t know that the i7 is as quiet as its lesser cousins. I have an i3 2100T in a mini-itx system. The whole system draws only 32 watts of power from the wall socket. It runs very quiet.
*
The high performance chips are going to make more noise in keeping them cool, I think.
*

Old 10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
Steve Flynn

On 30 October 2011 22:47, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>>• The I7 processor has a graphics processor on board. As I dont need high
>> performance graphics, can I use that ? Is it reliably supported under Ubuntu
>> ?
>
> I don’t believe the i7 has onboard graphics, although it does support
> certain video technologies. The motherboard you purchase can have on-board
> video which is typically Intel based and is part of the chipset. On-board
> video will likely take up some of your 8 Gigs of ram.

It does indeed have integrated graphics on the chip. It's about as
fast as an AMD HD 5450 card, which is amply fine for desktop work but
don't be expecting miracles when you throw a modern 3d game at it.

--
Steve