Old 10-29-2011, 08:30 PM
Colin Law

Default Can't get sshfs mount in fstab to work

After much googling and experimenting I have run out of ideas on this
one. In /etc/fstab I have

sshfs#user_name@192.168.1.96:/media/usb/gitrepos /media/gitrepos fuse
uid=1000,gid=1000,idmap=user,IdentityFile=/home/user_name/.ssh/id_rsa,allow_other
0 0

If I do
sudo mount /media/gitrepos
the directory is mounted as expected. It does not ask for password as
I have setup the ssh keys. When I boot however it stops during the
boot saying that the mount has failed and giving me the option of
dropping into a shell to fix it, or Skipping the mount. Skipping
allows the boot to continue, but the share is not mounted of course.
I cannot find any log messages anywhere to give me a clue as to the
cause of the problem.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Colin

Old 10-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 29 October 2011 21:30, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> If I do
> sudo mount /media/gitrepos
> the directory is mounted as expected. *It does not ask for password as
Can you try after doing a sudo su -? Where are the keys stored, at
your $HOME/.ssh or /root/.ssh? Do you use encrypted home directories?

I don't have a server to test this at the moment, my virtual server
farm is slightly in a funny situation so building a new VM to test
this is out of the question at the moment. The other thing I could
test is my Eee and currently it's struggling through a netinstall of
11.10. There are a number of funny bugs (hey, guys, don't allocate 2GB
to swap when all I have is 4GB of disk space, I already have 2GB of
RAM and never on this Eee will run out of memory that easily + also
please don't prompt the video size message and block it with the
"quiet" option, it gives the impression of "installation hang")...
Anyway...

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Colin Law

On 30 October 2011 13:55, Hakan Koseoglu <hakan@koseoglu.org> wrote:
> On 29 October 2011 21:30, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> If I do
>> sudo mount /media/gitrepos
>> the directory is mounted as expected. *It does not ask for password as
> Can you try after doing a sudo su -? Where are the keys stored, at
> your $HOME/.ssh or /root/.ssh? Do you use encrypted home directories?

It mounts ok from the command line using sudo su -
The keys are in $HOME/.ssh and I have explicitly specified that using
IdentityFile=... It would not work from the command line either until
I specified it explicitly.
No encrypted directories.

> I don't have a server to test this at the moment, my virtual server
> farm is slightly in a funny situation so building a new VM to test
> this is out of the question at the moment. The other thing I could
> test is my Eee and currently it's struggling through a netinstall of
> 11.10. There are a number of funny bugs (hey, guys, don't allocate 2GB
> to swap when all I have is 4GB of disk space, I already have 2GB of
> RAM and never on this Eee will run out of memory that easily + also
> please don't prompt the video size message and block it with the
> "quiet" option, it gives the impression of "installation hang")...
> Anyway...

Good luck with those problems

Thanks for the help

Colin