Old 10-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Séamas Ó Brógáin

Default Window edges

Is there any way to increase the space that can be grabbed by the
pointer for dragging windows? The precision required seems to be in the
region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does not
seem to be any differences between the various window themes.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:38 PM
"compdoc"

>The precision required seems to be in the
>region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does not
>seem to be any differences between the various window themes.

I agree - the area could use some width...

Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 15:30:59 +0100
Séamas Ó Brógáin <sob@iol.ie> wrote:

> Is there any way to increase the space that can be grabbed by the
> pointer for dragging windows? The precision required seems to be in
> the region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does
> not seem to be any differences between the various window themes.

It's a pain, yes, but, if looking to drag, grab the title bar. If
looking to re-size, grab the upper left or bottom right of the window.
At least the bottom right should have a little spot where diagonal
lines define the larger grab-able spot.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Colin Law

On 29 October 2011 15:30, Séamas Ó Brógáin <sob@iol.ie> wrote:
> Is there any way to increase the space that can be grabbed by the
> pointer for dragging windows? The precision required seems to be in the
> region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does not
> seem to be any differences between the various window themes.

Are you seeing this on Unity (3D) or Unity-2D? I don't see it on 3D
which seems to increase the effective border width, but on 2D there is
this bug that you could add yourselves to
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-2d/+bug/878198

Colin

Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Bill Stanley

On 10/29/2011 10:30 AM, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:

Is there any way to increase the space that can be grabbed by the
pointer for dragging windows? The precision required seems to be in the
region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does not
seem to be any differences between the various window themes.

I agree! The hot spot for the mouse should be made user customizable.
I am somewhat handicapped and finding the mouse hot spot can be a pain
at times. Maybe it is OK for most people so leave the default as it is
but there should be a way to increase it in the disability settings.

Bill Stanley

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Séamas Ó Brógáin

Colin Law wrote:

> Are you seeing this on Unity (3D) or Unity-2D? I don't see it on 3D
> which seems to increase the effective border width, but on 2D there is
> this bug that you could add yourselves to
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-2d/+bug/878198

I’m using Ubuntu 2D, as my old computer can’t quite manage the 3D (which
also has its share of faults).

Thanks for the information.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:43 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 11:41 -0400, Bill Stanley wrote:
> On 10/29/2011 10:30 AM, Séamas Ó Brógáin wrote:
> > Is there any way to increase the space that can be grabbed by the
> > pointer for dragging windows? The precision required seems to be in the
> > region of a single pixel, making it almost impossible. There does not
> > seem to be any differences between the various window themes.
>
> I agree! The hot spot for the mouse should be made user customizable.
> I am somewhat handicapped and finding the mouse hot spot can be a pain
> at times. Maybe it is OK for most people so leave the default as it is
> but there should be a way to increase it in the disability settings.
>
> Bill Stanley

You don't say if you're using unity 3D or unity 2D (in which case I
dunno). Not sure why unity 2D exists at all, actually.

In unity 3D, Alt-Mouse-button-2 (usually the right button) or Alt-F8
seem to be the defaults for window resize. If you do either of these
you don't have to grab the edge. See CompizConfig Settings Manager -->
Window Resize. You can also double click the top bar of the window to
change between maximized and normal.

I agree that it should be easier to configure unity stuff. CCSM is an
unholy mess that can easily leave your UI in a whimpering state from
which nothing can be done to recover. Something similar to the old
Simple Compiz Settings thingo for unity would be a very good thing.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 3:01, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05