-   -   "green" hard disk and ubuntu? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/592147-green-hard-disk-ubuntu.html)

Olivier Pavilla 10-28-2011 04:45 AM

"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

Hi everyone.

I must change my hardisk in my ubuntu server.
So, at my job my colleague told me that "green"hard disk has no long
life on ubuntu server because of power management or something like this.
Does anyone knows if it's true? What kind of SATA hard disk should I buy?

David Fletcher 10-28-2011 08:44 AM

"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 06:45 +0200, Olivier Pavilla wrote:
> Hi everyone.
>
> I must change my hardisk in my ubuntu server.
> So, at my job my colleague told me that "green"hard disk has no long
> life on ubuntu server because of power management or something like this.
> Does anyone knows if it's true? What kind of SATA hard disk should I buy?

This is the readout for the "green" hard drive in my server. Draw your
own conclusions regarding its reliability.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about this, but I believe the
green credential is achieved by reducing the platter spin speed which
also reduces electricity consumption. I don't need high performance for
my server, your requirements may be different.

administrator@ServerII:~$ sudo smartctl -a /dev/sda -d ata -F samsung
smartctl version 5.38 [i686-pc-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-8 Bruce
Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model: SAMSUNG HD103SI
Serial Number: S1VSJ90Z618441
Firmware Version: 1AG01118
User Capacity: 1,000,204,886,016 bytes
Device is: In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is: 8
ATA Standard is: ATA-8-ACS revision 3b
Local Time is: Fri Oct 28 09:35:38 2011 BST

==> WARNING: May need -F samsung or -F samsung2 enabled; see manual for
details.

SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status: (0x00) Offline data collection activity
was never started.
Auto Offline Data Collection: Disabled.
Self-test execution status: ( 0) The previous self-test routine
completed
without error or no self-test has ever
been run.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection: (12663) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
Suspend Offline collection upon new
command.
Offline surface scan supported.
Self-test supported.
Conveyance Self-test supported.
Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities: (0x0003) Saves SMART data before entering
power-saving mode.
Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability: (0x01) Error logging supported.
General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 212) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time: ( 23) minutes.
SCT capabilities: (0x003f) SCT Status supported.
SCT Feature Control supported.
SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f 100 100 051 Pre-fail Always
- 0
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0007 082 082 011 Pre-fail Always
- 6260
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 11
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 100 100 010 Pre-fail Always
- 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x000f 253 253 051 Pre-fail Always
- 0
8 Seek_Time_Performance 0x0025 100 100 015 Pre-fail
Offline - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 098 098 000 Old_age Always
- 10974
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0033 100 100 051 Pre-fail Always
- 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 11
13 Read_Soft_Error_Rate 0x000e 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
183 Unknown_Attribute 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
184 Unknown_Attribute 0x0033 100 100 000 Pre-fail Always
- 0
187 Reported_Uncorrect 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
188 Unknown_Attribute 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022 072 063 000 Old_age Always
- 28 (Lifetime Min/Max 22/37)
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 072 063 000 Old_age Always
- 28 (Lifetime Min/Max 22/39)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered 0x001a 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 1421244338
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0012 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 100 000 Old_age
Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x003e 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x000a 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0
201 Soft_Read_Error_Rate 0x000a 100 100 000 Old_age Always
- 0

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
No self-tests have been logged. [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
SPAN MIN_LBA MAX_LBA CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
1 0 0 Not_testing
2 0 0 Not_testing
3 0 0 Not_testing
4 0 0 Not_testing
5 0 0 Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute
delay.

"compdoc" 10-28-2011 01:06 PM

"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

>On Behalf Of Olivier Pavilla
>
>I must change my hardisk in my ubuntu server.
>So, at my job my colleague told me that "green"hard disk has no long
>life on ubuntu server because of power management or something like this.
>Does anyone knows if it's true? What kind of SATA hard disk should I buy?

There are several green drives out there, and I use many of them in Ubuntu
servers where they run 24/7.

They operate at 5400 rpm or 5900 rpm, which saves power and produces less
heat. And they are more than fast enough to feed data to a Gigabit Ethernet
network.

Their spin speed isn't controlled by the operating system or power
management. Also, they last as long as any hard drive will. So your
colleague is incorrect.

Samsung and Seagate and Western Digital all make these kinds of drives.
However, I hear that Western Digital Green drives have a tendency to turn
themselves off to save power, and so are not a good drive to use in a RAID
array. But I'm sure they are good drives otherwise...

Preston Hagar 10-31-2011 06:06 PM

"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
> Samsung and Seagate and Western Digital all make these kinds of drives.
> However, I hear that Western Digital Green drives have a tendency to turn
> themselves off to save power, and so are not a good drive to use in a RAID
> array. But I'm sure they are good drives otherwise...

They aren't very good in RAID arrays. The Western Digital ones
specifically have TLER [1] issue that can cause drives to drop out of
the array. This can be changed in the firmware, but I still have had
issues since they don't all always keep a consistent spindle speed.

As for general use as a stand alone drive, other than sometimes being
a little slow, I would say they are great. They are generally some of
the most inexpensive drives, often have large capacities, and make
great second "data" drives.

Preston

Preston Hagar 10-31-2011 06:07 PM

"green" hard disk and ubuntu?

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:06 PM, Preston Hagar <prestonh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 8:06 AM, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> Samsung and Seagate and Western Digital all make these kinds of drives.
>> However, I hear that Western Digital Green drives have a tendency to turn
>> themselves off to save power, and so are not a good drive to use in a RAID
>> array. But I'm sure they are good drives otherwise...
>>

> They aren't very good in RAID arrays. *The Western Digital ones
> specifically have TLER [1] issue that can cause drives to drop out of
> the array. *This can be changed in the firmware, but I still have had
> issues since they don't all always keep a consistent spindle speed.
>
> As for general use as a stand alone drive, other than sometimes being
> a little slow, I would say they are great. *They are generally some of
> the most inexpensive drives, often have large capacities, and make
> great second "data" drives.
>

> Preston

Sorry, forgot the TLER link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-Limited_Error_Recovery