Old 10-27-2011, 11:39 PM
James Freer

Default I'm switching over to lubuntu11.10

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 12:14 AM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 October 2011 23:25, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
>> *I'm switching from ubuntu 11.04 to lubuntu 11.10 ,I have it downloaded and
>> it is in the download file or program (under tools), Now what do i do to
>> load it. or update ubuntu 11.04.
>
> If you just want to use the Lubuntu desktop, you don't need to reinstall.
>
> First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
> into 11.10 and do
>
> apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
>
> Log out (or better still reboot) and you will find that the Lubuntu
> desktop is now an option on the login screen.
>
> You don't need the ISO that you downloaded - not unless you want to
> dual-boot between Ubuntu and Lubuntu.

I'd recommend you add
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop as well

You could compare the two lightweights and i think you'd prefer xubuntu.

james

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:39:40 +0100
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk@gmail.com> wrote:

> You could compare the two lightweights and i think you'd prefer
> xubuntu.

That could be so, but Xubuntu (or even just plain old XFCE4) isn't very
lightweight at all. In fact, it rivals GNOME, IIANM.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 10-28-2011, 04:34 AM
Jon Anderson

If you just want to use the Lubuntu desktop, you don't need to reinstall.

First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
into 11.10 and do

apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Log out (or better still reboot) and you will find that the Lubuntu
desktop is now an option on the login screen.

You don't need the ISO that you downloaded - not unless you want to
dual-boot between Ubuntu and Lubunt

You say"
First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
into 11.10 and do"

You mean yo use the update manager to upgrade to ubuntu 11.10 first ? By the way thanks I was getting a head ache trying to figure everything else out. Your way is a lot easier.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Liam Proven

On 28 October 2011 05:34, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
> If you just want to use the Lubuntu desktop, you don't need to reinstall.
>
> First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
> into 11.10 and do
>
> apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
>
> Log out (or better still reboot) and you will find that the Lubuntu
> desktop is now an option on the login screen.
>
> You don't need the ISO that you downloaded - not unless you want to
> dual-boot between Ubuntu and Lubunt
>
> You say"
> First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
> into 11.10 and do"
>
> You mean yo use the update manager to upgrade to ubuntu 11.10 first ?

That's right.

You could do it the other way round, but that means downloading and
installing "lubuntu-desktop" first and then upgrading it.

> By the
> way thanks I was getting a head ache trying to figure everything else out.
> Your way is a lot easier.

If you have /home on a separate filesystem - that is, in its own disk
partition - then you can install 2 (or more) different copies of
Ubuntu, each with their own root (`/`) filesystem but sharing the same
/home filesystem and swap partition. This works fine - I've done it
many times. If each has a different desktop, for instance, 1 is
Ubuntu, 1 is Lubuntu, plus say Kubuntu and Xubuntu, then they can all
have the same user account, too.

If you try to share 2 or more distros with the /same/ desktop on a
single user account, e.g. Mint and Ubuntu, then the settings for that
desktop will trample on one another, so each time you boot into the
other distro, the theme settings and so on will be from the previous
one and it gets a bit muddled. It works but not flawlessly.

Different desktops use different config files so it's no problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Jaime Jaramillo

> Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:20:06 +0100
> Subject: Re: I'm switching over to lubuntu11.10
> From: lproven@gmail.com
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On 28 October 2011 05:34, Jon Anderson <jbander@izoom.net> wrote:
> > If you just want to use the Lubuntu desktop, you don't need to reinstall.
> >
> > First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
> > into 11.10 and do
> >
> > apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
> >
> > Log out (or better still reboot) and you will find that the Lubuntu
> > desktop is now an option on the login screen.
> >
> > You don't need the ISO that you downloaded - not unless you want to
> > dual-boot between Ubuntu and Lubunt
> >
> > You say"
> > First, upgrade to 11.10 using update-manager. When it's done, reboot
> > into 11.10 and do"
> >
> > You mean yo use the update manager to upgrade to ubuntu 11.10 first ?
>
> That's right.
>
> You could do it the other way round, but that means downloading and
> installing "lubuntu-desktop" first and then upgrading it.
>
> > By the
> > way thanks I was getting a head ache trying to figure everything else out.
> > Your way is a lot easier.
>
> If you have /home on a separate filesystem - that is, in its own disk
> partition - then you can install 2 (or more) different copies of
> Ubuntu, each with their own root (`/`) filesystem but sharing the same
> /home filesystem and swap partition. This works fine - I've done it
> many times. If each has a different desktop, for instance, 1 is
> Ubuntu, 1 is Lubuntu, plus say Kubuntu and Xubuntu, then they can all
> have the same user account, too.
>
> If you try to share 2 or more distros with the /same/ desktop on a
> single user account, e.g. Mint and Ubuntu, then the settings for that
> desktop will trample on one another, so each time you boot into the
> other distro, the theme settings and so on will be from the previous
> one and it gets a bit muddled. It works but not flawlessly.
>
> Different desktops use different config files so it's no problem.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Info & profile: http://www.google.com/profiles/lproven
> Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven@gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AIM/Yahoo/Skype: liamproven • MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • ICQ: 73187508

Hi

I did it and works (Lubuntu and Xubuntu), and not used the ISO CD.
1. upgrade to 11.102. install lubuntu desktop
I just log out and log in Lubuntu, and that is it.*
Thanks*
J3

Old 10-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Liam Proven

On 28 October 2011 15:40, Jaime Jaramillo <jaimejaramillo568@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I did it and works (Lubuntu and Xubuntu), and not used the ISO CD.
> 1. upgrade to 11.10
> 2. install lubuntu desktop
> I just log out and log in Lubuntu, and that is it.
> Thanks
> J3

Excellent news! :¬)

You are very welcome.