FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:03 PM
R Kimber
 
Default CPU temperature and new kernel

I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
(5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.

Anyone else notice this?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"
 
Default CPU temperature and new kernel

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 00:03 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
> (5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.
>
> Anyone else notice this?
>

Temps with that kernel are pretty much the same, ~ 39 - 40 C. AMD
Phenom X6 1075 cpu. AMD cool & quiet is turned on in BIOS, so it scales
back nicely when not being flogged.

I think I do notice more cpu activity, but can't quantify.

Phoronix has been going on for a while about power regressions in the
3.0 series kernels: e.g.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress& num=1

We don't have any Intel machines running the newer kernels yet.


--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 1 day, 1:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05
Linux 3.0.0-12-generic
Ubuntu 11.10, unity 4.24.0




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Pop Horea-Vasile
 
Default CPU temperature and new kernel

I have an Intel i3 390M machine and the new gnome -- Ubuntu 11.10. I
think the temperature is with 6 degrees higher than the normal value:

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/pmqwouwu/Screenshotat20111028160817.png

On 10/28/2011 02:35 AM, Pongo A. Pan wrote:

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 00:03 +0100, R Kimber wrote:

I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
(5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.

Anyone else notice this?


Temps with that kernel are pretty much the same, ~ 39 - 40 C. AMD
Phenom X6 1075 cpu. AMD cool& quiet is turned on in BIOS, so it scales
back nicely when not being flogged.

I think I do notice more cpu activity, but can't quantify.

Phoronix has been going on for a while about power regressions in the
3.0 series kernels: e.g.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress& num=1

We don't have any Intel machines running the newer kernels yet.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM
R Kimber
 
Default CPU temperature and new kernel

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:12:06 +0300
Pop Horea-Vasile wrote:

> I have an Intel i3 390M machine and the new gnome -- Ubuntu 11.10. I
> think the temperature is with 6 degrees higher than the normal value:

It's clearly not a manufacturer's issue then. My cpu is AMD Phenom2 x4 3.0

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources
http://www.PoliticsResources.net/

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
Pop Horea-Vasile
 
Default CPU temperature and new kernel

Don't have grafics and date to compare with the old one. Didn't
anticipated this problem.
if some one uses still old gnome please put us a link with a screenshot
of psensors.
My screenshot it is at 50% load of processor becouse I'm running BOINC 6
of 7 days.
On Intel product page it is written that my CPU resist at 95 degrees
max. I puted the allarm at 72 degrees. BUT I think with the new software
and the new processors this will be a major problem in the next perioud
of time. SOLUTION: water cooling -- aprox. 200 euro. I'm wondering did
they do that at command -- to match in every laptop.

What solution do you have ?

On 10/28/2011 06:01 PM, R Kimber wrote:

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:12:06 +0300
Pop Horea-Vasile wrote:


I have an Intel i3 390M machine and the new gnome -- Ubuntu 11.10. I
think the temperature is with 6 degrees higher than the normal value:

It's clearly not a manufacturer's issue then. My cpu is AMD Phenom2 x4 3.0

- Richard.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org