-   -   CPU temperature and new kernel (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/592079-cpu-temperature-new-kernel.html)

R Kimber 10-27-2011 11:03 PM

CPU temperature and new kernel

I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
(5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.

Anyone else notice this?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

"Pongo A. Pan" 10-27-2011 11:35 PM

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 00:03 +0100, R Kimber wrote:
> I find that with 3.0.0-12-generic my cpu temperatures are noticeably higher
> (5-10 degrees) than with 2.6.38-10.
>
> Anyone else notice this?

Temps with that kernel are pretty much the same, ~ 39 - 40 C. AMD
Phenom X6 1075 cpu. AMD cool & quiet is turned on in BIOS, so it scales
back nicely when not being flogged.

I think I do notice more cpu activity, but can't quantify.

Phoronix has been going on for a while about power regressions in the
3.0 series kernels: e.g.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_31_power_regress& num=1

We don't have any Intel machines running the newer kernels yet.

--
pongo pan
Aurelius up 1 day, 1:48, 1 user, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05

Pop Horea-Vasile 10-28-2011 01:12 PM

CPU temperature and new kernel

I have an Intel i3 390M machine and the new gnome -- Ubuntu 11.10. I
think the temperature is with 6 degrees higher than the normal value:

http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/pmqwouwu/Screenshotat20111028160817.png

R Kimber 10-28-2011 03:01 PM

CPU temperature and new kernel

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 16:12:06 +0300
Pop Horea-Vasile wrote:

> I have an Intel i3 390M machine and the new gnome -- Ubuntu 11.10. I
> think the temperature is with 6 degrees higher than the normal value:

It's clearly not a manufacturer's issue then. My cpu is AMD Phenom2 x4 3.0

- Richard.

Pop Horea-Vasile 10-28-2011 04:17 PM

CPU temperature and new kernel

Don't have grafics and date to compare with the old one. Didn't
anticipated this problem.
if some one uses still old gnome please put us a link with a screenshot
of psensors.
My screenshot it is at 50% load of processor becouse I'm running BOINC 6
of 7 days.
On Intel product page it is written that my CPU resist at 95 degrees
max. I puted the allarm at 72 degrees. BUT I think with the new software
and the new processors this will be a major problem in the next perioud
of time. SOLUTION: water cooling -- aprox. 200 euro. I'm wondering did
they do that at command -- to match in every laptop.

What solution do you have ?