Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Verde Denim

Default network manager hiccup

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:22 AM, David Shochat <david.shochat@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Twice after an update I've noticed that the network manager has lost its

> way.

> Looking at the menu items under 'More networks' and 'VPN Connections', I

> only see a very small rectangle with no entries (there are normally entries

> in both), and Connection Information and Edit Connections doesn't produce

> any response at all.

> Anyone seen this behavior? What can be done to correct it?

Do you see any interfaces marked unmanaged? If so, same thing happened

to me and I can tell you what to do.

-- David

David
Didn't see any unmanaged interfaces. I was able to restart the applet this time to get it working again. The last time this occurred, the restart did not work, and I could only reboot the machine to restore the network connections. I'd like to be able to resolve this more permanently if possible. Thanks for the help! I appreciate the feedback.

Jack

Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Verde Denim

> Twice after an update I've noticed that the network manager has lost its

> way.

> Looking at the menu items under 'More networks' and 'VPN Connections', I

> only see a very small rectangle with no entries (there are normally entries

> in both), and Connection Information and Edit Connections doesn't produce

> any response at all.

> Anyone seen this behavior? What can be done to correct it?

Do you see any interfaces marked unmanaged? If so, same thing happened

to me and I can tell you what to do.

-- David

David
Didn't see any unmanaged interfaces. I was able to restart the applet this time to get it working again. The last time this occurred, the restart did not work, and I could only reboot the machine to restore the network connections. I'd like to be able to resolve this more permanently if possible. Thanks for the help! I appreciate the feedback.

Jack

Update:
I restarted the nm-applet in a term and have been watching for any problems. This morning I opened the term to see pages of messages like this -
** (nm-applet:6259): WARNING **: _nm_object_get_property: Error getting 'RsnFlags' for /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager/AccessPoint/1355: (19) Method "Get" with signature "ss" on interface "org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" doesn't exist

The messages go on like this with only the number at the end of the .../AccessPoint/ path changing

under /usr/share/dbus-l/interfaces/ there are a number of org.freedesktop paths, but none for NetworkManager, but there is a NetworkManager.policy in polkit/actions.

Anyone have any insight as to how to correct this error?

Thanks, as always, for the input.

Jack