Old 10-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Default Pidgin PPA causing significant problems

Recently I have updated to 11.10. For some reason I am getting error messages when searching for updates. Pidgin ppa has some sort of problem.I removed the references to pidgin in the sources list but I don't think that helped.

Update manager now does not work and asks to do a partial update which seems to end after "prepairing to upgrade"
Software center now states*"There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks."and"Traceback (most recent call last):* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 968, in simulate* * trans.unauthenticated = self._simulate_helper(trans)* File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 1092, in _simulate_helper* * return depends, self._cache.required_download, * File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 235, in required_download* * pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)SystemError: E:I wasn't able to locate a file for the pidgin-ppa package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package."
From terminal if I update I get*"W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net natty Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 7FB8BEE0A1F196A8W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/source/Sources *404 *Not Found
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages *404 *Not Found"
I think there has to be some ppa added but I'm not sure where or what.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 PM
Liam Proven

On 26 October 2011 18:43, <mdovell@comcast.net> wrote:
> Recently I have updated to 11.10. For some reason I am getting error
> messages when searching for updates. Pidgin ppa has some sort of problem.
> I removed the references to pidgin in the sources list but I don't think
> that helped.

I've been getting errors from that repo as well.

Beware, it is not in /etc/apt/sources.list - you need to disable the
separate Pidgin files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ as well.