Old 10-26-2011, 01:48 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

Default Please stop complaining about Unity and install Gnome Shell

I wanted to contribute something constructive to the list.

1. open a console
2. sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
3. log out
4. choose Gnome
5. log in
6. be happy
7. send a reply to the list to thank me for my awesome advice
8. ???
9. profit!

--
Amedee

Old 10-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Wes James

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 7:48 AM, Amedee Van Gasse
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> I wanted to contribute something constructive to the list.
>
> 1. open a console
> 2. sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
> 3. log out
> 4. choose Gnome
> 5. log in
> 6. be happy
> 7. send a reply to the list to thank me for my awesome advice
> 8. ???
> 9. profit!
>

> --
> Amedee

I tried that and in the menus, the text has white squares in random
letter positions. Some letters show, others have a white box.

I logged back out and tried kde plasma and that looks fine. Any ideas
about Gnome?

-wes

Old 10-26-2011, 04:57 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 08:41:09 -0600
Wes James wrote:

> I tried that and in the menus, the text has white squares in random
> letter positions. Some letters show, others have a white box.
>
> I logged back out and tried kde plasma and that looks fine. Any ideas
> about Gnome?

Xubuntu works fine too. Unless you specifically want Gnome3 I'd go for
Xubuntu. It's quite like what Ubuntu used to be.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources