Old 10-26-2011, 12:55 PM
Verde Denim

Default 11.04 update

I got the latest updates yesterday and this morning and something has gone terribly wrong with my 11.04 laptop.

On a reboot yesterday after the latest updates, I get a few lines of unreadable characters across the top of the screen and then this -

FATAL: Error inserting vesafb (/lib/modiules/2.6.38-12-server/kernel/drivers/video/vesafb.ko): No such device.

In looking at the directory, the file does exist.

I did a reboot and brought up the last kernel (2.6.38.11) and got the same results.

*I now have no graphics desktop.

Any input as to how to correct this would be greatly appreciated as I use this at work.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Liam Proven

On 26 October 2011 13:55, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I got the latest updates yesterday and this morning and something has gone
> terribly wrong with my 11.04 laptop.
>
> On a reboot yesterday after the latest updates, I get a few lines of
> unreadable characters across the top of the screen and then this -
> FATAL: Error inserting vesafb
> (/lib/modiules/2.6.38-12-server/kernel/drivers/video/vesafb.ko): No such
> device.
>
> In looking at the directory, the file does exist.
>
> I did a reboot and brought up the last kernel (2.6.38.11) and got the same
> results.
>
> *I now have no graphics desktop.
>
> Any input as to how to correct this would be greatly appreciated as I use
> this at work.

Do you have an xorg.conf file in the `/etc/X11` folder? If so, rename
it to something else - e.g. xorg.conf.old - and reboot. May well get
you running.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Verde Denim

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

On 26 October 2011 13:55, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I got the latest updates yesterday and this morning and something has gone

> terribly wrong with my 11.04 laptop.

> On a reboot yesterday after the latest updates, I get a few lines of

> unreadable characters across the top of the screen and then this -

> FATAL: Error inserting vesafb

> (/lib/modiules/2.6.38-12-server/kernel/drivers/video/vesafb.ko): No such

> device.

> In looking at the directory, the file does exist.

> I did a reboot and brought up the last kernel (2.6.38.11) and got the same

> results.

> *I now have no graphics desktop.

> Any input as to how to correct this would be greatly appreciated as I use

> this at work.

Do you have an xorg.conf file in the `/etc/X11` folder? If so, rename

it to something else - e.g. xorg.conf.old - and reboot. May well get

you running.

Liam
I was able to get back up and running by using the older (generic) kernel. I'm looking into why this happened, but for the moment I'm up and running again. Since I use this machine at work, I can't take it down for long periods of time to diagnose these issues - I'll look into it again this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Jack