Old 10-25-2011, 01:19 AM
Linux Tyro

Default Empty directory not getting deleted in external harddisk

Hi,

There has occurred an strange problem and I am encountering this problem for the first time. In my external hard-disk which when I connect in Ubuntu a folder is not getting deleted at all. Again I plug in usb hard disk and find that some few file(s) (namely 'databases' get created inside that directory and these all I delete but finally the main empty directory still exists and I don't know how it got created.

how could it be permanently deleted?
--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's

wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 10-25-2011, 06:56 AM
Colin Law

On 25 October 2011 02:19, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There has occurred an strange problem and I am encountering this problem for
> the first time. In my external hard-disk which when I connect in Ubuntu a
> folder is not getting deleted at all. Again I plug in usb hard disk and find
> that some few file(s) (namely 'databases' get created inside that directory
> and these all I delete but finally the main empty directory still exists and
> I don't know how it got created.
>
> how could it be permanently deleted?

Can you give us the names of the directories and files please?

Colin

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Linux Tyro

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:26 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> There has occurred an strange problem and I am encountering this problem for

> the first time. In my external hard-disk which when I connect in Ubuntu a

> folder is not getting deleted at all. Again I plug in usb hard disk and find

> that some few file(s) (namely 'databases' get created inside that directory

> and these all I delete but finally the main empty directory still exists and

> I don't know how it got created.

> how could it be permanently deleted?

Can you give us the names of the directories and files please?

This is how the directories are getting created:

43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e****** ->********** databases * * * * * * * * * * ->************* d74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb

*** (it is directory)******************** * * * * * (it is also a directory)**************************** (it is a file, I don't know which format it is)

In the above the last two ('databases' and 'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb') I am able to delete (but each time whenever I plug the hard disk) but the first one ('43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e'), a directory doesn't get deleted even after emptying it (that is, even after deleting the other two).

Thx.

Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Linux Tyro

In the above the last two ('databases' and 'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb') I am able to delete (but each time whenever I plug the hard disk) but the first one ('43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e'), a directory doesn't get deleted even after emptying it (that is, even after deleting the other two).

The problem still persists!

Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 PM
Rashkae

directory) (it is a file, I don't know which
format it is)

In the above the last two ('databases' and
'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb') I am able to delete (but each time
whenever I plug the hard disk) but the first one
('43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e'), a directory doesn't get deleted even after
emptying it (that is, even after deleting the other two).

The problem still persists!

Are you looking at the directories/files created in the /media
directory? If so, you don't want to be deleting those. They are auto
created when a removable drive is plugged in so the Operating system has
somewhere to mount the disk. Those directories are required to allow
the system to access the disks, and are added/removed automatically by
the Ubuntu system.

If this is not what you mean, then we'll need more information.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

What is the location/full path of these files? Have you tried
unmounting the device and running fsck against it if it is an ext2/3/4
filesystem?

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Linux Tyro

i) 43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e****** ->********** ii) databases * * * * * * * * * * ->************* iii) d74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb

*** (it is directory)******************** * * * * * (it is also a directory)**************************** (it is a file, I don't know which format it is)

In the above the last two ('databases' and 'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53fdb')
I am able to delete (but each time whenever I plug the hard disk) but
the first one ('43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e'), a directory doesn't get
deleted even after emptying it (that is, even after deleting the other
two).

i) '43c9f2721ed24ab138b75e5e' is the directory inside the usb hard-disk.
ii) 'databases' is the directory inside the directory no. i)
iii) 'd74157950031f86b102e1759dcd53f' is the file inside the directory no. ii)

I am able to delete ii) and iii) but i) is not getting deleted. Its not on /media (I checked with the command 'ls /media') but inside the usb hard-disk.

I have several times unmounted the device (from the right click menu) and several times inserted again but again the files get created [ii) and iii)] however i) remains there.

Thx.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Ubuntu LTS is good <http://sites.google.com/site/whyilikeubuntu/>!

Ok, thanks for confirming the directory structure. You have not
indicated if you have run a fsck on the drive, perhaps there is
something wrong with journal on the filesystem, in which case you keep
seeing the same folder reappearing.

Please open a terminal (CTRL + ALT + T) and run fsck -y
/dev/sd[a-z][0-9]. Where [a-z] and [0-9] this would be substituted for
the actual block device detect by the OS and partition i.e /dev/sdb1.
If you are not sure, mount the device and send the information from the
terminal when you run sudo fdisk -l and I/we can advise accordingly.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Linux Tyro

[...]

Here is the required output and command:

myfamily@myfamily-desktop:~$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for myfamily:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xfedcfedc

** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System

/dev/sda1** *********** 1****** 15258** 122553318+** 7* HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2********** 15258****** 30402** 121644033*** 5* Extended
/dev/sda5********** 15258****** 29781** 116658176** 83* Linux
/dev/sda6********** 29781****** 30402**** 4984832** 82* Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xa4b57300

** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System
/dev/sdb1************** 1****** 38913** 312568641*** 7* HPFS/NTFS
*

Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/10/25 Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com>:
> [...]
>
> Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xfedcfedc
>
> ** Device Boot***** Start******** End***** Blocks** Id* System
> /dev/sda1** *********** 1****** 15258** 122553318+** 7* HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda2********** 15258****** 30402** 121644033*** 5* Extended
> /dev/sda5********** 15258****** 29781** 116658176** 83* Linux
> /dev/sda6********** 29781****** 30402**** 4984832** 82* Linux swap / Solaris
>
> Disk /dev/sdb: 320.1 GB, 320072933376 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
> Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
> I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

So it seems like your USB disk is /dev/sdb1. So in this case, Bruce
Pieterse suggested that you should run the following in a terminal:

fsck -y /dev/sdb1

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ