Old 10-24-2011, 11:28 PM
Linux Tyro

Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:

PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop.* It will not
blindside a Windows user, as will Ubuntu. Its Forum

(there is no mailing list) usually produces responses within hours.*
You can install just about anything you want, and

you can install RPM software if you need to, altho the devs
discourage that. (I had IBM's Lotus Symphony on my other

machine, which I installed from RPM.* It worked fine.* It is a
cousin to and works like Open/Libre Office, except it is prettier

and more user friendly.)* I'm writing this from PCLOS, which I use
almost all the time, except when I have to run some

s/w that is designed for Windows.

Yes and the greatest feature is that PCLinuxOS works out of the box (like Ubuntu did in my case), without installing a single driver Ubuntu recognized/installed (whatever it did....) all the drivers --- even for an old samsung printer (from which I was not able to take the prints in Windows, since no drivers where there!) and I was readily able to take prints in Ubuntu and not only that all videos and audios are working just fine for me in Ubuntu and I hope (pretty sure as you say) PCLinuxOS would also prove the same.

*

I have recently looked at MEPIS with the KDE desktop.* It works
pretty OK, altho some of the installations are a bit tricky.

It gets its software base from Debian, which can be a problem
sometimes, due to Deb's peculiar politics, but there is

an auxiliary repo that fills in some, but not all, the blanks. You
don't (and apparently can't) get Adobe Reader, and some

sound programs that you may need.* They also use a Forum routine,
and it works, altho it's a bit slower in response than

that of PCLOS, perhaps because there are fewer users.* I believe
MEPIS is faster on a given machine than PCLOS, altho if you

have a fairly fast machine you may not notice the difference.*
That's why I started looking at it, altho I'm now building a

faster PC.

MEPIS as you have tested might be a good one but as I have to generate the report for only the said four (since there are many-many distros, and its not possible to examine all.....), I guess PCLinuxOS is the first for easiness (out of the box working) and then Ubuntu. One of mine friend told me for openSUSE but it would not be that simple to use openSUSE as it could be with Ubuntu (I have seen and tested without knowing Linux) and / or PCLinuxOS and for Linux Mint, it's more simplified Ubuntu (as what people call it).