Old 10-24-2011, 06:58 PM
sktsee

Default ubuntu 11-10 vbox guest addition + unity3d

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:10:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:

[snip]

> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user/2733
> [[Ubuntu 11.10] Lost Unity Launch bar & top panel
> w/vboxadditions_4.1.4_74291]

Apologies for thread hijack, but I wanted to suggest a solution to the
Vbox guest addition + unity issue.

The problem is that the current PUEL version is not aware of the new
multi-arch filesystem layout of the system libraries in Ubuntu/Debian.

Create the following symbolic link for 11.10 32-bit guest then reboot.

$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib/dri

I don't have the 64-bit version installed, but I think the following
should work:

$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib64/dri

AFAIK, this issue is fixed with the Ubuntu supplied version and in the
latest OSE trunk.

--
sktsee

Old 10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
NoOp

On 10/24/2011 11:58 AM, sktsee wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:10:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
> [snip]
>>
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user/2733
>> [[Ubuntu 11.10] Lost Unity Launch bar & top panel
>> w/vboxadditions_4.1.4_74291]
>
> Apologies for thread hijack, but I wanted to suggest a solution to the
> Vbox guest addition + unity issue.
>
> The problem is that the current PUEL version is not aware of the new
> multi-arch filesystem layout of the system libraries in Ubuntu/Debian.
>
> Create the following symbolic link for 11.10 32-bit guest then reboot.
>
> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib/dri
>
> I don't have the 64-bit version installed, but I think the following
> should work:
>
> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib64/dri
>
> AFAIK, this issue is fixed with the Ubuntu supplied version and in the
> latest OSE trunk.

Well... it was worth a try, but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion though.
BTW: I upgraded my natty test partition on the same laptop last night to
11.10, and that runs just fine (full 3D), so it is an issue with vbox.

Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 PM
sktsee

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:17:11 -0700, NoOp wrote:

> On 10/24/2011 11:58 AM, sktsee wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:10:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>>
>>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user/2733
>>> [[Ubuntu 11.10] Lost Unity Launch bar & top panel
>>> w/vboxadditions_4.1.4_74291]
>>
>> Apologies for thread hijack, but I wanted to suggest a solution to the
>> Vbox guest addition + unity issue.
>>
>> The problem is that the current PUEL version is not aware of the new
>> multi-arch filesystem layout of the system libraries in Ubuntu/Debian.
>>
>> Create the following symbolic link for 11.10 32-bit guest then reboot.
>>
>> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib/dri
>>
>> I don't have the 64-bit version installed, but I think the following
>> should work:
>>
>> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib64/dri
>>
>> AFAIK, this issue is fixed with the Ubuntu supplied version and in the
>> latest OSE trunk.
>>

> Well... it was worth a try, but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion
> though. BTW: I upgraded my natty test partition on the same laptop last
> night to 11.10, and that runs just fine (full 3D), so it is an issue
> with vbox.

Sorry, I forgot add that you'll need to reinstall the guest additions
after you create the link. I did a number things before stumbling upon
the multi-arch issue and thought that the link solution was the last
thing I did to get it working. Anyway, I retested on a fresh 11.10 vm and
after creating the link and then installing the guest additions, I
rebooted and was able to login to unity3d.

Here are the revised steps

1. create symbolic link from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri to /usr/lib/dri
2. install guest additions
3. reboot vm
4 . log into unity

Troubleshoot tip:
make sure in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri that there is the link
vboxvideo_dri.so --> /usr/lib/VBoxOGL.so present.

--
sktsee

Old 10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
NoOp

On 10/25/2011 02:13 PM, sktsee wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 14:17:11 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 10/24/2011 11:58 AM, sktsee wrote:
>>> On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 19:10:47 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Apologies for thread hijack, but I wanted to suggest a solution to the
>>> Vbox guest addition + unity issue.
>>>
>>> The problem is that the current PUEL version is not aware of the new
>>> multi-arch filesystem layout of the system libraries in Ubuntu/Debian.
>>>
>>> Create the following symbolic link for 11.10 32-bit guest then reboot.
>>>
>>> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib/dri
>>>
>>> I don't have the 64-bit version installed, but I think the following
>>> should work:
>>>
>>> $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri /usr/lib64/dri
>>>
>>> AFAIK, this issue is fixed with the Ubuntu supplied version and in the
>>> latest OSE trunk.
>>>

>> Well... it was worth a try, but no joy. Thanks for the suggestion
>> though. BTW: I upgraded my natty test partition on the same laptop last
>> night to 11.10, and that runs just fine (full 3D), so it is an issue
>> with vbox.
>
> Sorry, I forgot add that you'll need to reinstall the guest additions
> after you create the link. I did a number things before stumbling upon
> the multi-arch issue and thought that the link solution was the last
> thing I did to get it working. Anyway, I retested on a fresh 11.10 vm and
> after creating the link and then installing the guest additions, I
> rebooted and was able to login to unity3d.
>
> Here are the revised steps
>
> 1. create symbolic link from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri to /usr/lib/dri
Done.
> 2. install guest additions
Done (after uninstalling first).
> 3. reboot vm
Done.
> 4 . log into unity
Did & still the same.

> Troubleshoot tip:
> make sure in /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/dri that there is the link
> vboxvideo_dri.so --> /usr/lib/VBoxOGL.so present.
It is.

~$ ls -al /usr/lib/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 2011-10-25 17:14 /usr/lib/dri/vboxvideo_dri.so
-> /usr/lib/VBoxOGL.so

I'll file a bug report on VB later in the week. Thanks again.

Gary