-   -   Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently” (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/590822-mount-new-hdd-somewhere-file-system-permanentlya.html)

Johnny Rosenberg 10-24-2011 05:50 PM

Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently”

We just bought a new HDD for my wife's desktop machine, since the
existing one seems a bit too small. She work with a lot of images in
RAW format…

Ubuntu 10.04 is installed on the old HDD and we are not going to
change that for quite a while. Our thought is to keep the old HDD with
Ubuntu 10.04 and let the new one appear as her Images folder somewhere
in her file system, because that's the folder that will really be
really.

What do we need to obtain this permanently?
We did not decide the exact structure yet, but let's say that we want
to mount the new HDD as /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images.
/home is already a partition of its own at the old HDD.

I guess there need to be some work done in fstab somehow, right? Is
there some kind of software out there that let us do this graphically
or is the terminal the way to go?

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Bruce Pieterse 10-24-2011 06:25 PM

[...]

Johnny,

Terminal will be the best way to go but we can do it in both.

*Terminal Mode & Graphic Mode*
1. Create the directory structure
i.e./home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images
2. Get the unique device identifier with sudo blkid so the same device
is always loaded at the above mount point. If you not sure which device
it is you can use the disk-utility in gnome or sudo fdisk -l and match
/dev/sd[a-z][1-9] with blkid. If you still not sure you can give me the
output and I'll assist further.
3. Edit fstab: sudo vi /etc/fstab (terminal mode) or gksudo gedit
/etc/fstab (graphical mode)
4. Add the line: UUID=<blkid from step 2>
/home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1

5. Save and then use mount -a to have it loaded in the new location

Done. :)

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Conny Enström 10-24-2011 06:54 PM

[...]

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Adding_Another_Hard_Drive

or

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/newharddisk.htm

Johnny Rosenberg 10-25-2011 07:45 PM

2011/10/24 Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@gmail.com>:
> On Mon 24 Oct 2011 19:50:43 SAST, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> We just bought a new HDD for my wife's desktop machine, since the
>> existing one seems a bit too small. She work with a lot of images in
>> RAW format…
>>
>> Ubuntu 10.04 is installed on the old HDD and we are not going to
>> change that for quite a while. Our thought is to keep the old HDD with
>> Ubuntu 10.04 and let the new one appear as her Images folder somewhere
>> in her file system, because that's the folder that will really be
>> really.
>>
>> What do we need to obtain this permanently?
>> We did not decide the exact structure yet, but let's say that we want
>> to mount the new HDD as /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images.
>> /home is already a partition of its own at the old HDD.
>>
>> I guess there need to be some work done in fstab somehow, right? Is
>> there some kind of software out there that let us do this graphically
>> or is the terminal the way to go?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>> ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ
>>

> Johnny,
>
> Terminal will be the best way to go but we can do it in both.
>
> *Terminal Mode & Graphic Mode*
> 1. Create the directory structure
> i.e./home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images
> 2. Get the unique device identifier with sudo blkid so the same device is
> always loaded at the above mount point. If you not sure which device it is
> you can use the disk-utility in gnome or sudo fdisk -l and match
> /dev/sd[a-z][1-9] with blkid. If you still not sure you can give me the
> output and I'll assist further.
> 3. Edit fstab: sudo vi /etc/fstab (terminal mode) or gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
> (graphical mode)
> 4. Add the line: UUID=<blkid from step 2>
> /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images ext4 * *errors=remount-ro
> * 0 * * * 1

Failed first when I tried to have a folder name with a space in it.
Doesn't seem like quotes around the path name nor a backslash ahead of
the space helped, so I simply changed the name entirely to one without
spaces. Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
case?

> 5. Save and then use mount -a to have it loaded in the new location

Yes, that works, thanks!

So now the folder /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images (let's
call it that) exists and seems to be the HDD. However, we still have a
HDD icon on the desktop called ”1 TB file system”. Is there something
to add in fstab to make sure that doesn't happen? For example, if we
plug in a USB stick we want it to appear on the desktop, but we DON'T
want this HDD to appear there. Possible? How?

> Done. :)
>
> --
> Best of luck,
>
> Bruce

Best regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Conny Enström skrev:
”http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Adding_Another_Hard_Drive

or

http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/newharddisk.htm”

Johnny Rosenberg svarar:
Tackar!

Vänliga hälsningar

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Bruce Pieterse 10-25-2011 08:08 PM

Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently”

Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
case?

I'm not a 100% sure, but normally spaces are escaped e.g. New Folder
would become New Folder. I personally don't use spaces.

5. Save and then use mount -a to have it loaded in the new location

Yes, that works, thanks!

So now the folder /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images (let's
call it that) exists and seems to be the HDD. However, we still have a
HDD icon on the desktop called ”1 TB file system”. Is there something
to add in fstab to make sure that doesn't happen? For example, if we
plug in a USB stick we want it to appear on the desktop, but we DON'T
want this HDD to appear there. Possible? How?

Try ejecting the device on the desktop and then open a terminal and
unmount and remount the device with the following:
sudo umount /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images && sudo mount
/home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images.

Alternatively, if the issue persists (and I'm sure it won't) try
restarting the operating system. This can help if we accidentally
called sudo mount -a multiple times or you can just run the sudo umount
command above until umount tells you that the device is not mounted
there and then you can mount the drive again.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Rashkae 10-25-2011 08:31 PM

Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently”

Failed first when I tried to have a folder name with a space in it.
Doesn't seem like quotes around the path name nor a backslash ahead of
the space helped, so I simply changed the name entirely to one without
spaces. Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
case?

It was an interesting question, since I never thought of trying that
before. But the friendly manual was ahead of us.

Quote from man fstab:

If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be
escaped as `40'.

Johnny Rosenberg 10-25-2011 09:09 PM

2011/10/25 Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@gmail.com>:
>> Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
>> case?
>
> I'm not a 100% sure, but normally spaces are escaped e.g. New Folder would
> become New Folder. I personally don't use spaces.
>

>>> 5. Save and then use mount -a to have it loaded in the new location
>>
>> Yes, that works, thanks!
>>
>> So now the folder /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images (let's
>> call it that) exists and seems to be the HDD. However, we still have a
>> HDD icon on the desktop called ”1 TB file system”. Is there something
>> to add in fstab to make sure that doesn't happen? For example, if we
>> plug in a USB stick we want it to appear on the desktop, but we DON'T
>> want this HDD to appear there. Possible? How?
>
> Try ejecting the device on the desktop and then open a terminal and unmount
> and remount the device with the following:
> sudo umount /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images && sudo mount
> /home/UserName/Something/SomethingElse/Images.
>
> Alternatively, if the issue persists (and I'm sure it won't) try restarting
> the operating system.

After following your five steps in your first reply I restarted the
operating system. It was after that I saw that the icon was still
there on the desktop and that's why I asked, so it doesn't seem like
restarting it once again would help.

> This can help if we accidentally called sudo mount -a
> multiple times or you can just run the sudo umount command above until
> umount tells you that the device is not mounted there and then you can mount
> the drive again.
>
> --
> Best of luck,
>
> Bruce

Thanks,

Johnny Rosenberg

Johnny Rosenberg 10-25-2011 09:12 PM

2011/10/25 Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com>:
> On 10/25/2011 03:45 PM, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
>>
>> Failed first when I tried to have a folder name with a space in it.
>> Doesn't seem like quotes around the path name nor a backslash ahead of
>> the space helped, so I simply changed the name entirely to one without
>> spaces. Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
>> case?
>
> It was an interesting question, since I never thought of trying that before.
> *But the friendly manual was ahead of us.
>
> Quote from man fstab:
>
> *If the *name *of *the *mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as
> `40'.

Of course, octal for 32. Didn't think of that.

Thanks!

Johnny Rosenberg

Bruce Pieterse 10-25-2011 09:19 PM

Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently”

Failed first when I tried to have a folder name with a space in it.
Doesn't seem like quotes around the path name nor a backslash ahead of
the space helped, so I simply changed the name entirely to one without
spaces. Is it not possible to have spaces in the folder name in this
case?

It was an interesting question, since I never thought of trying that before.
But the friendly manual was ahead of us.

Quote from man fstab:

If the name of the mount point contains spaces these can be escaped as
`40'.

Of course, octal for 32. Didn't think of that.

Thanks!

Johnny Rosenberg

Johnny is the device plugged in via USB or via a SATA/IDE cable?

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Johnny Rosenberg 10-26-2011 03:28 PM

Mount a new HDD somewhere in the file system ”permanently”

2011/10/25 Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@gmail.com>:
> On Tue 25 Oct 2011 23:12:04 SAST, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

>>> It was an interesting question, since I never thought of trying that
>>> before.
>>> *But the friendly manual was ahead of us.
>>>
>>> Quote from man fstab:
>>>
>>> *If the *name *of *the *mount point contains spaces these can be escaped
>>> as
>>> `40'.
>>
>> Of course, octal for 32. Didn't think of that.
>>

>> Thanks!
>>
>> Johnny Rosenberg
>>

> Johnny is the device plugged in via USB or via a SATA/IDE cable?

S-ATA.

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ