Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Dave Lawrence

Default Eagle not available in 11.10 amd64 but i386 package works

Old 10-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Colin Watson

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:17:14PM +0100, Dave Lawrence wrote:
> It seems that Eagle (PCB design tool) has disappeared on upgrade to
> 11.10 (64 bit).
>
> I ran
> sudo apt-get install eagle-data
> Then downloaded the i386 version of the eagle package and ran
> sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture eagle_5.11.0-3ubuntu1_i386.deb

'sudo apt-get install eagle:i386' should also have worked and is more
straightforward. I believe that's what you're supposed to do now for
this package, given this changelog entry:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eagle/5.11.0-3ubuntu1

To elaborate on the reason for that change, ia32-libs was a giant blob
of a package with copies of various 32-bit libraries that were needed
for running 32-bit applications on 64-bit systems. The source package
was over half a gigabyte (I wish I were exaggerating), which meant
hardly any developers ever wanted to touch it. It was a security
nightmare and often resulted in us shipping out-of-date libraries, and a
30MB package wasn't exactly great for users either. One of the major
reasons for doing multiarch (although certainly not the only one) was so
that we could take out ia32-libs and burn it, so packages that
previously relied on ia32-libs are now being moved over to multiarch.

> I understand that 11.10 adds some extra support for running 32-bit
> packages in a 64-bit installation but I'm not sure whether that is
> comprehensive.

We're building that up package-by-package. It should work in this case,
though.

> Is there a case for the package manager offering a 32-bit version of a
> package in the case where the 64-bit version is not available? This
> might be a general feature or something that's just enabled on a
> package-by-package basis, depending on whether the compatibility is
> universal or not.

It's supposed to do that already. Did it not in this case? Which
package management application were you using?

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@ubuntu.com]

Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Dave Lawrence

On 25/10/11 01:35, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 05:17:14PM +0100, Dave Lawrence wrote:
[...]
>> I ran
>> sudo apt-get install eagle-data
>> Then downloaded the i386 version of the eagle package and ran
>> sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture eagle_5.11.0-3ubuntu1_i386.deb
>
> 'sudo apt-get install eagle:i386' should also have worked and is more
> straightforward. I believe that's what you're supposed to do now for
> this package, given this changelog entry:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/eagle/5.11.0-3ubuntu1

Thanks, that's useful to know. Plus this method is more secure as
apt-get verifies the sig of th download.

[...]
>> Is there a case for the package manager offering a 32-bit version of a
>> package in the case where the 64-bit version is not available? This
>> might be a general feature or something that's just enabled on a
>> package-by-package basis, depending on whether the compatibility is
>> universal or not.
>
> It's supposed to do that already. Did it not in this case? Which
> package management application were you using?

The Ubuntu Software Center offers "Eagle", but clicking on install
silently fails.
"apt-cache search eagle" reveals eagle-data but not eagle.
"aptitude search eagle" does show eagle but I think that's because I've
now got it installed.

Thu Oct 27 21:30:01 2011
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:59:08 +0200
From: =?UTF-8?B?V29qY2llY2ggWmFib8WCb3RueQ==?=
<w.zabolotny@elka.pw.edu.pl>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Re: Network Manager in Debian and modem with non-standard init
strings

Yes, but when I set up connection with wvdial, then other application do
not know, that network connection is active.
For example Empathy refuses to work in this condition...
WZab