Old 10-24-2011, 04:17 PM
Colin Law

Default Unity Launcher and app startup positions

The one thing that I *do* find annoying about Ubuntu with Unity is the
way that many apps do not re-open in the same position as they were
last used, so that they insist on opening up under the launcher.
Thunderbird always seems to start up centred for example. Tomboy
Notes is particularly annoying as every note is opened against the
left edge of the screen. If anyone knows how to fix this I would be
grateful.

I know I can set the launcher so it does not hide, but some apps I run
in full screen and then I *do * want it to hide.

Colin
--
gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM
sktsee

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:17:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> The one thing that I *do* find annoying about Ubuntu with Unity is the
> way that many apps do not re-open in the same position as they were last
> used, so that they insist on opening up under the launcher. Thunderbird
> always seems to start up centred for example. Tomboy Notes is
> particularly annoying as every note is opened against the left edge of
> the screen. If anyone knows how to fix this I would be grateful.
>
> I know I can set the launcher so it does not hide, but some apps I run
> in full screen and then I *do * want it to hide.
>
> Colin

The first issue about window placement is not Unity related but is a
compiz plugin (Place Windows) setting. If you have CompizConfig Setting
Manager (ccsm)_ installed, you can change the placement mode in the Place
Windows plugin under the Windows Management section. You can also force
placement of application windows with that plugin as well.

The second issue can be changed also with ccsm. In the Unity plugin under
the Desktop section, change the Hide Launcher setting to Dodge Active
Windows. That way, the launch bar won't hide until you either maximize an
application or drag a an active window over its location.

--
sktsee

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Colin Law

On 24 October 2011 20:28, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:17:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>
>> The one thing that I *do* find annoying about Ubuntu with Unity is the
>> way that many apps do not re-open in the same position as they were last
>> used, so that they insist on opening up under the launcher. Thunderbird
>> always seems to start up centred for example. *Tomboy Notes is
>> particularly annoying as every note is opened against the left edge of
>> the screen. *If anyone knows how to fix this I would be grateful.
>>
>> I know I can set the launcher so it does not hide, but some apps I run
>> in full screen and then I *do * want it to hide.
>>
>> Colin
>
> The first issue about window placement is not Unity related but is a
> compiz plugin (Place Windows) setting. If you have CompizConfig Setting
> Manager (ccsm)_ installed, you can change the placement mode in the Place
> Windows plugin under the Windows Management section. You can also force
> placement of application windows with that plugin as well.

That looks like it might solve my problem, though I think have a bit
of research to do to work out how to set it up. Thanks.

> The second issue can be changed also with ccsm. In the Unity plugin under
> the Desktop section, change the Hide Launcher setting to Dodge Active
> Windows. That way, the launch bar won't hide until you either maximize an
> application or drag a an active window over its location.

OK, thanks

Colin

Old 10-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Colin Law

On 24 October 2011 21:17, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 24 October 2011 20:28, sktsee <sktseer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 17:17:09 +0100, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>>> The one thing that I *do* find annoying about Ubuntu with Unity is the
>>> way that many apps do not re-open in the same position as they were last
>>> used, so that they insist on opening up under the launcher. Thunderbird
>>> always seems to start up centred for example. *Tomboy Notes is
>>> particularly annoying as every note is opened against the left edge of
>>> the screen. *If anyone knows how to fix this I would be grateful.
>>>
>>> I know I can set the launcher so it does not hide, but some apps I run
>>> in full screen and then I *do * want it to hide.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> The first issue about window placement is not Unity related but is a
>> compiz plugin (Place Windows) setting. If you have CompizConfig Setting
>> Manager (ccsm)_ installed, you can change the placement mode in the Place
>> Windows plugin under the Windows Management section. You can also force
>> placement of application windows with that plugin as well.
>
> That looks like it might solve my problem, though I think have a bit
> of research to do to work out how to set it up. *Thanks.

Unfortunately my first attempt to run ccsm has resulted in the dreaded
"Missing Launcher Effect" even though I think all I did was look
around to see what is there. Now I have to find Alan's(?) post on how
to use unity --reset to get it back

Meanwhile back on Unity 2D again.

Colin