FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

Linux Tyro wrote:
> My aunt (who has been a Windows user ever) asked me for Linux. I
> myself being new, told her Ubuntu and after a couple of days she
> asks me to please suggest her about one of following:
>
> 1) PCLinuxOS
> 2) openSUSE
> 3) Ubuntu
> 4) Linux Mint
>
> I suggested Ubuntu but she just asked me a brief review (if I could).
> What she wants is just the general works she was doing in Windows
> but of more concern - stability as once she installs she would not
> go for a change in future and then starting learning that one
> flavor.

I would suggest to try out the various live CDs and then decide which
version is the best. Relying on other peoples opinion may be a good idea
if you have to buy something which you can't test beforehand. But here
the various flavours can be tested before the final decision is made.
And don't forget Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu which are IMHO easier to
use for someone coming from Windows.


Nils

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
Linux Tyro
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:



I would suggest to try out the various live CDs and then decide which

version is the best. Relying on other peoples opinion may be a good idea

if you have to buy something which you can't test beforehand. But here

the various flavours can be tested before the final decision is made.

And don't forget Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu which are IMHO easier to

use for someone coming from Windows.

I think you are right and I should forward this suggestion and with preference to Ubuntu.


--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's

wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"


================================================== =
I really get less time!

================================================== =


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Doug
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On 10/24/2011 08:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
Hi,



My aunt (who has been a Windows user ever) asked me for Linux. I
myself being new, told her Ubuntu and after a couple of days she
asks me to please suggest her about one of following:



1) PCLinuxOS

2) openSUSE

3) Ubuntu

4) Linux Mint



I suggested Ubuntu but she just asked me a brief review (if I
could). What she wants is just the general works she was doing in
Windows but of more concern - stability as once she installs she
would not go for a change in future and then starting learning
that one flavor. I know for sure PCLinuxOS and Linux Mint are easy
for beginners (read and knew) but Ubuntu and openSuse could be of
more than just having fun! They could (what I guess) provide to
become a techie-wizard from a non-techie wizard.



I would be thankful if you can just let me know anything of the
great experiences people here are having.



Thx.

--

Two atoms are walking along.
Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's

wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"




================================================== =

I really get less time!


================================================== =




PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop.* It will not
blindside a Windows user, as will Ubuntu. Its Forum

(there is no mailing list) usually produces responses within hours.*
You can install just about anything you want, and

you can install RPM software if you need to, altho the devs
discourage that. (I had IBM's Lotus Symphony on my other

machine, which I installed from RPM.* It worked fine.* It is a
cousin to and works like Open/Libre Office, except it is prettier

and more user friendly.)* I'm writing this from PCLOS, which I use
almost all the time, except when I have to run some

s/w that is designed for Windows.*



I have recently looked at MEPIS with the KDE desktop.* It works
pretty OK, altho some of the installations are a bit tricky.

It gets its software base from Debian, which can be a problem
sometimes, due to Deb's peculiar politics, but there is

an auxiliary repo that fills in some, but not all, the blanks. You
don't (and apparently can't) get Adobe Reader, and some

sound programs that you may need.* They also use a Forum routine,
and it works, altho it's a bit slower in response than

that of PCLOS, perhaps because there are fewer users.* I believe
MEPIS is faster on a given machine than PCLOS, altho if you

have a fairly fast machine you may not notice the difference.*
That's why I started looking at it, altho I'm now building a

faster PC.



--doug





--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Pastor JW
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On Monday, October 24, 2011 11:52:17 am Doug wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 08:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:

> PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop. It will not
> blindside a Windows user, as will Ubuntu.

Why would Ubuntu blind side her. My Ubuntu KDE setup seems to be preferred by
every windoze user I have installed. Over 130 users so far. And they have
all said how much easier to install AND how much easier to find, the software
for Ubuntu is.


--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/the_original_inner_circle
http://h.webring.com/hub?ring=universalministr

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Doug
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On 10/24/2011 03:43 PM, Pastor JW wrote:

On Monday, October 24, 2011 11:52:17 am Doug wrote:

On 10/24/2011 08:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop. It will not
blindside a Windows user, as will Ubuntu.

Why would Ubuntu blind side her. My Ubuntu KDE setup seems to be preferred by
every windoze user I have installed. Over 130 users so far. And they have
all said how much easier to install AND how much easier to find, the software
for Ubuntu is.



I was assuming you meant the standard Ubuntu, with Unity or Gnome3.
I thought you had to use Kubuntu to get KDE.
--dm

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides. --A. M. Greeley


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
Ioannis Vranos
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 03:43 PM, Pastor JW wrote:
>>
>> On Monday, October 24, 2011 11:52:17 am Doug wrote:
>>>
>>> On 10/24/2011 08:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
>>> PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop. *It will not
>>> blindside a Windows user, as will Ubuntu.
>>
>> Why would Ubuntu blind side her. *My Ubuntu KDE setup seems to be
>> preferred by
>> every windoze user I have installed. *Over 130 users so far. *And they
>> have
>> all said how much easier to install AND how much easier to find, the
>> software
>> for Ubuntu is.
>>
>>
> I was assuming you meant the standard Ubuntu, with Unity or Gnome3.
> I thought you had to use Kubuntu to get KDE.

or install the kubuntu-desktop metapackage in Ubuntu.


--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-24-2011, 10:20 PM
James Freer
 
Default What should I suggest my Aunt?

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> On 10/24/2011 08:56 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My aunt (who has been a Windows user ever) asked me for Linux. I myself
> being new, told her Ubuntu and after a couple of days she asks me to please
> suggest her about one of following:
>
> 1) PCLinuxOS
> 2) openSUSE
> 3) Ubuntu
> 4) Linux Mint
>
> I suggested Ubuntu but she just asked me a brief review (if I could). What
> she wants is just the general works she was doing in Windows but of more
> concern - stability as once she installs she would not go for a change in
> future and then starting learning that one flavor. I know for sure PCLinuxOS
> and Linux Mint are easy for beginners (read and knew) but Ubuntu and
> openSuse could be of more than just having fun! They could (what I guess)
> provide to become a techie-wizard from a non-techie wizard.
>
> I would be thankful if you can just let me know anything of the great
> experiences people here are having.
>
> Thx.
> --
> Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's
> wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"
>
> ================================================== =
> I really get less time!
> ================================================== =
>
> PCLinuxOs is an excellent system with the KDE desktop.* It will not

I think PCLOS is perhaps the best packaged distro out there - Texstar
really does do an excellent job. But why not recommend PCLOS Phoenix
(xfce) - that to me is the best xfce desktop and would have less
'bells & whistles' which may be more to her liking (as it is mine).
However, rpm is slow and that's why i stay with Xubuntu. The repos and
the package management i still regard as the best after using ubuntu
since 2007.

james

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org