Old 10-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Amichai Rotman

Default Best setup for a computer repair lab?

Hello,
I have a small computer repair lab. I deal mainly with small repairs and upgrades to PCs. I'd like to setup a Linux server in the LAN with the following roles:

File Server - for applications installation files and customer's Data backups. FreeNAS or something similar, perhaps?Ghost Images repository - I heard about the*FOG Project. Haven't looked into it yet, though.

VirtualBox Headless Server - An image for each technician to be accessed via RDP from within the LAN and also WAN, so wach have our own*preferred*desktop setup.OpenVPN Server - using their OpenVPN Access Server*- or is the Virtual Appliance a better choice?

I have a bunch of old PCs I can make something of. What I mostly need is storage space. I have a lot of different sized IDE HDDs I would like to configure together. I think the best way would be to setup an LVM.

Is there an out-of-the-box distro for this or do I install Ubuntu Server and add the relevant functionality after the install?
Which version of the Ubuntu Server should I use?

I'll appreciate your advice and any*experience you can share...
Thanks!
Amichai.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a small computer repair lab. I deal mainly with small repairs and
> upgrades to PCs. I'd like to setup a Linux server in the LAN with the
> following roles:
>
> File Server - for applications installation files and customer's Data
> backups. FreeNAS or something similar, perhaps?
> Ghost Images repository - I heard about the*FOG Project. Haven't looked into
> it yet, though.
> VirtualBox Headless Server - An image for each technician to be accessed via
> RDP from within the LAN and also WAN, so wach have our own*preferred*desktop
> setup.
> OpenVPN Server - using their OpenVPN Access Server*- or is the Virtual
> Appliance a better choice?
>
> I have a bunch of old PCs I can make something of. What I mostly need is
> storage space. I have a lot of different sized IDE HDDs I would like to
> configure together. I think the best way would be to setup an LVM.
> Is there an out-of-the-box distro for this or do I install Ubuntu Server and
> add the relevant functionality after the install?

Regarding LVM, you can create it with Ubuntu server, during installation.

Regarding services, Ubuntu 11.10 comes with these default options:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/153/19388482.png

> Which version of the Ubuntu Server should I use?

I think you should pick either 11.10 or 10.04.x LTS.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 October 2011 13:35, Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il> wrote:
> Hello,
> I have a small computer repair lab. I deal mainly with small repairs and
> upgrades to PCs. I'd like to setup a Linux server in the LAN with the
> following roles:
>
> File Server - for applications installation files and customer's Data
> backups. FreeNAS or something similar, perhaps?
> Ghost Images repository - I heard about theÂ*FOG Project. Haven't looked into
> it yet, though.
> VirtualBox Headless Server - An image for each technician to be accessed via
> RDP from within the LAN and also WAN, so wach have our ownÂ*preferredÂ*desktop
> setup.
> OpenVPN Server - using their OpenVPN Access ServerÂ*- or is the Virtual
> Appliance a better choice?
>
> I have a bunch of old PCs I can make something of. What I mostly need is
> storage space. I have a lot of different sized IDE HDDs I would like to
> configure together. I think the best way would be to setup an LVM.
> Is there an out-of-the-box distro for this or do I install Ubuntu Server and
> add the relevant functionality after the install?
> Which version of the Ubuntu Server should I use?
> I'll appreciate your advice and anyÂ*experience you can share...

For a general-purpose server, the easiest way is SME Server.
http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page

If you want something a bit more customisable, then you might want to
look at ClearOS (formerly ClarkConnect).
http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html

The last of the 3 that I know of is the least mature, but it does
work, and it's Ubuntu-based, which you might prefer. It is Zentyal
(formerly eBox).
http://www.zentyal.com/

Ubuntu Server is, unlike Ubuntu desktop editions, /not/ a ready-to-use
OS - it's a toolkit from which you have to build your own
installation, select, install and then configure the components you
wish to use. Any of the 3 above will get you working much much faster.