Old 10-24-2011, 10:28 AM
James Bond

Default ProFTPd access to /var/www

On 10/18/2011 04:33 PM, Oliver Marshall wrote:

Hi chaps,

*

Has anyone got FTP working so that an
external party can FTP to /var/www ?

*

I’ve been trying for ages. I’m easily on my
50th link from google searches and I’ve tried
ProFTPd and some others but just cant get it working.

*

I’m currently running ProFTPd (using the
GADMIN GUI). I gave up trying to create a dedicated user for
this party and just used the logon details of the main account
on the server. In ProFTPd I’ve assigned them permissions for
the /var/www directory, but that doesn’t work. They just get a
permission denied when changing folders in their FTP client.

So I used chown and chgrp to give that account permission to
the /var/www directory but that hasn’t worked.

*

SCP isn’t an option, though I haven’t had
much more joy with getting WinSCP working either, though I’m
told that’s a limitation on WinSCP rather than SCP as a whole.

Could someone spare 5 mins to give me some advice on how this
should be set up ?

Olly

sudo aptitude install vsftpd and then

netstat -tualp | grep 21