Old 10-24-2011, 06:34 AM
Douglas Saylor

Default Linux Mint

Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up
for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I
gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 AM
Alan Pope

On 24 Oct 2011, at 07:34, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up
> for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I
> gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

http://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php

Al.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
James Freer

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:34 AM, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up
> for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I
> gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

Mint looks nice but... what's under the bonnet? I had a number of
issues with Mint when i tried it.

I looked at Xubuntu; i still think that Canonical produces the best
system - with Xubuntu i was not disappointed. many folk have started
using xubuntu and i see it getting more established... and deservedly
so.

james

Old 10-24-2011, 07:46 AM
Linux Tyro

Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up

for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I

gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

You are D-O-N-E, that's okay but just (as a matter of interest) could you elaborate the areas you faced any (or some, if) faced the problem using Ubuntu?

--
Two atoms are walking along. Suddenly, one stops. The other says, "What's

wrong?" "I've lost an electron." "Are you sure?" "I'm positive!"

Old 10-24-2011, 07:47 AM
sdavmor

Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up
for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I
gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

X-U-B-U-N-T-U. Why not try it before abandoning ship?
http://mikedickson.org.uk

Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM
Bruce Pieterse

Oh wow, I'm liking Mint! Ubuntu it's been fun. So where do you sign up
for the Mint list? Thanks to everyone here for their contributions! I
gave the Unity toolbar six months, but I'm D-O-N-E.

X-U-B-U-N-T-U. Why not try it before abandoning ship?

Lol, I think it might be unity itself. Anyways, I'm going to be giving
Xubuntu and Kubuntu a spin myself this week. I've read that Kubuntu
isn't that great, but the sources could be wrong. Should OpenSUSE be
used to try out KDE?

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Douglas Saylor

> http://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php
>
> Al.

Thanks Al!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:01 PM
Douglas Saylor

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Linux Tyro <ubuntu.bkn@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You are D-O-N-E, that's okay but just (as a matter of interest) could you
> elaborate the areas you faced any (or some, if) faced the problem using
> Ubuntu?

I'm CONSTANTLY bumping into the Unity toolbar. If I go for back
button, I overshoot, out comes the toolbar now blocking said button.
Same goes for the close, maximize & minimize button. The Unity toolbar
sounds right, looks cool I actually WANTED to like it, but in the end
I just didn't like it.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
Douglas Saylor

XUBUNTU vs Mint. I'm not really sure I understand the
advantages/disadvantages? Thanks!

Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
David Shochat

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm CONSTANTLY bumping into the Unity toolbar. If I go for back
> button, I overshoot, out comes the toolbar now blocking said button.
> Same goes for the close, maximize & minimize button. The Unity toolbar
> sounds right, looks cool I actually WANTED to like it, but in the end
> I just didn't like it.

I assume you're talking about the Launcher. Have you tried having it
not auto-hide (so it's just there all the time)? I'm not at my home
(Ubuntu) box now, but I think it's in the compiz settings manager
(cssm?). Maybe in an "experimental" tab.
I agree that's a ridiculous place for it (and the Launcher icon sizing
pref) to be. I think the reasonable user expectation is that you
should just right mouse on the Launcher and get a "Launcher
properties" option. Or maybe put it with the other preferences. But
burying it in cssm is absurd. Also, I think many people have already
wondered why it can't be relocated to the bottom (default loc for the
Mac) or RHS.
-- David