Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 AM
Douglas Saylor

Default After six months, I'm finally sick of the Unity Toolbar

I'm tired of the Unity toolbar. I gave it six months. In fact I liked
the Unity toolbar at 1st. The IDEA was sound. I thought some issues
would be addressed in 11.10 & they were not. I don't know how/why I
put up with it so long though, it's terrible. I overshoot & out pops
the toolbar, now BLOCKING the button I want to click. Same to close or
minimize a windows. Oh & closing or minimize controls hidden &
seemingly don't want to reappear till I button-mash. I know it's me.
Maybe I need to get back on mood-stabilizer medication ...or maybe
Unity & the toolbar just sucks like most people said from the get-go.

I thought I'd give Debian another try, this time with "Testing" after
a few people made some good points. My Acer Aspire One ZG5 wireless
card was not recognized. Router is in the roommate's living room. I
need it to JUST WORK. NEEEEXT! (I might add that Microsoft Windows
fresh, generic install often doesn't "just work" with laptops, so this
isn't a "Linux" knock)

Tried to install Linux Mint. Downloaded the torrent via website link.
From Ubuntu, used the .iso to make a start-up via USB /sigh ...install
fails. Now trying Unetbootin from Microsoft Windows. Makes me sad I
always end up, at some point, needing to boot into Windows in order to
get certain things to JUST WORK. I, know, it's me, but I've been with
Ubuntu Linux since 9.04 & I'm STILL using Microsoft? I'd have thought
by now the Windows partition would never be used, possibly deleted.
Nope, I seem to NEED Windows!? If I had money (see above AA1ZG5), I'd
get a Mac & probably be very, very happy. I'd still have my AA1 with
Linux of some sort, but if I had a Mac, would I bother to ever boot-up
my AA1? I'd be a less hard core geek, but I'd be a happier, lesser
geek I bet.

To be fair, I did a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 & that went without
one hiccup. Not one. Everything seems to work. Except the toolbar. I'm
kind of sad to leave Ubuntu. Unetbootin is calling me to reboot
...ttyl.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Jeffrey Gray

I haven't installed 11.10 but if it's like 11.04, just install Gnome 3
and on the login screen choose "Classic".

Old 10-24-2011, 05:52 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm tired of the Unity toolbar. I gave it six months. In fact I liked
> the Unity toolbar at 1st. The IDEA was sound. I thought some issues
> would be addressed in 11.10 & they were not. I don't know how/why I
> put up with it so long though, it's terrible. I overshoot & out pops
> the toolbar, now BLOCKING the button I want to click. Same to close or
> minimize a windows. Oh & closing or minimize controls hidden &
> seemingly don't want to reappear till I button-mash. I know it's me.
> Maybe I need to get back on mood-stabilizer medication ...or maybe
> Unity & the toolbar just sucks like most people said from the get-go.
>
> I thought I'd give Debian another try, this time with "Testing" after
> a few people made some good points. My Acer Aspire One ZG5 wireless
> card was not recognized. Router is in the roommate's living room. I
> need it to JUST WORK. NEEEEXT! (I might add that Microsoft Windows
> fresh, generic install often doesn't "just work" with laptops, so this
> isn't a "Linux" knock)
>
> Tried to install Linux Mint. Downloaded the torrent via website link.
> From Ubuntu, used the .iso to make a start-up via USB /sigh ...install
> fails. Now trying Unetbootin from Microsoft Windows. Makes me sad I
> always end up, at some point, needing to boot into Windows in order to
> get certain things to JUST WORK. I, know, it's me, but I've been with
> Ubuntu Linux since 9.04 & I'm STILL using Microsoft? I'd have thought
> by now the Windows partition would never be used, possibly deleted.
> Nope, I seem to NEED Windows!? If I had money (see above AA1ZG5), I'd
> get a Mac & probably be very, very happy. I'd still have my AA1 with
> Linux of some sort, but if I had a Mac, would I bother to ever boot-up
> my AA1? I'd be a less hard core geek, but I'd be a happier, lesser
> geek I bet.
>
> To be fair, I did a clean install of Ubuntu 11.10 & that went without
> one hiccup. Not one. Everything seems to work. Except the toolbar. I'm
> kind of sad to leave Ubuntu. Unetbootin is calling me to reboot
> ...ttyl.

I think you should either try installing gnome-shell package in
Ubuntu, or clean install Xubuntu, or Kubuntu.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Avi Greenbury

Douglas Saylor wrote:

> I'm tired of the Unity toolbar. I gave it six months. In fact I liked
> the Unity toolbar at 1st. The IDEA was sound. I thought some issues
> would be addressed in 11.10 & they were not. I don't know how/why I
> put up with it so long though, it's terrible. I overshoot & out pops
> the toolbar, now BLOCKING the button I want to click. Same to close or
> minimize a windows. Oh & closing or minimize controls hidden &
> seemingly don't want to reappear till I button-mash. I know it's me.
> Maybe I need to get back on mood-stabilizer medication ...or maybe
> Unity & the toolbar just sucks like most people said from the get-go.

Did you file a bug report?

--
Avi

Old 10-24-2011, 11:51 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm tired of the Unity toolbar. I gave it six months. In fact I liked
> the Unity toolbar at 1st.

Even I did not liked that Unity kind of interace.
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/return-to-ubuntu-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/
http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/09/use-gnome-desktop-with-docky-in-ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-ocelot/

Old 10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"

On Mon, October 24, 2011 07:38, Douglas Saylor wrote:
> I'm tired of the Unity toolbar.

*rant snipped*

Have you tried the Gnome Shell?

$ sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

Log out, select Gnome, log in.
I have been using it for a bit longer than a week now, and it has grown on
me.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:52:34 +0300
Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> I think you should either try installing gnome-shell package in
> Ubuntu, or clean install Xubuntu, or Kubuntu.

Yes, I've found that Xubuntu is a good alternative.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM
Douglas Saylor

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM, Avi Greenbury <lists@avi.co> wrote:
> Douglas Saylor wrote:
>
> Did you file a bug report?

I don't think this is a "bug" really. If it were a bug, I would think
this issue would not have made it into 11.10. I can't wrap my head
around why you would place buttons behind a popup toolbar, but I don't
think it's a bug.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Douglas Saylor

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:52 AM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:
>I think you should either try installing gnome-shell package in
>Ubuntu, or clean install Xubuntu, or Kubuntu.

Not sure what the advantage of Xubuntu over Mint is? Thanks1

Old 10-24-2011, 03:17 PM
Colin Law

On 24 October 2011 06:38, Douglas Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm tired of the Unity toolbar. I gave it six months. In fact I liked
> the Unity toolbar at 1st. The IDEA was sound. I thought some issues
> would be addressed in 11.10 & they were not. I don't know how/why I
> put up with it so long though, it's terrible. I overshoot & out pops
> the toolbar, now BLOCKING the button I want to click. Same to close or
> minimize a windows.

I am not sure what you are saying here. On Unity (3D) if you have a
window maximised and overshoot to the left of the close button the
launcher (I presume that is what you mean by the toolbar) does not pop
out.

I do think they have not got the timing right on the pop-out/hide. On
3D it is a bit quick to pop out and very slow to disappear. On 2D the
pop out timing is better but again much too slow to disappear again.
Why does it not disappear immediately?

Why don't you give 2D a go and see if you like it better? It seems
more stable to me.

> Oh & closing or minimize controls hidden &
> seemingly don't want to reappear till I button-mash.

No idea what you mean by that.

Colin