Old 10-23-2011, 03:26 PM
Peng Yu

Default How to figure out my client address for ftp?

Hi,

My ip address shown by ifconfig is different from what is shown by
http://www.whatismyip.com/. But this is shown by firefox. If I use a
ftp client to connect to a ftp server, is there a way to know what the
ip address the ftp server sees? Or it will be the same as the one
shown in firefox at http://www.whatismyip.com/?

Peng

Old 10-23-2011, 03:49 PM
"compdoc"

>My ip address shown by ifconfig is different from what is shown by
>http://www.whatismyip.com/. But this is shown by firefox. If I use a
>ftp client to connect to a ftp server, is there a way to know what the
>ip address the ftp server sees? Or it will be the same as the one
>shown in firefox at http://www.whatismyip.com/?

The address shown by www.whatismyip.com is your external address, and that's
the one you need to use to connect to from a remote location.

Since you have a different one as shown by ifconfig, I'm guessing you have a
device like a dsl modem that acts as a nat firewall.

So, you will need to forward the ports for ftp from that device to the
machine that's acting as an ftp server.

Many personal internet connections have what's known as 'dynamic ip
addresses' meaning they change on a regular basis, so you can use a free
service such as the one offered by dyn.com to create a domain name that
always points to you.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Donkey Hottie

23.10.2011 18:26, Peng Yu kirjoitti:
> Hi,
>
> My ip address shown by ifconfig is different from what is shown by
> http://www.whatismyip.com/. But this is shown by firefox. If I use a
> ftp client to connect to a ftp server, is there a way to know what the
> ip address the ftp server sees? Or it will be the same as the one
> shown in firefox at http://www.whatismyip.com/?

Firefox shows the correct address for you.

ftp has this "Passive" mode designed to be used in cases like that. Some
routers can track ftp usage in Active mode too, and solve the problems
in connections, but not always. Passive mode does not have such problems.

--

Wrinkles should merely indicate where smiles have been.
-- Mark Twain

Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 PM
Linux Tyro