Old 10-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Colin Law

Default ubuntu 11-10

On 23 October 2011 13:21, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> I finally installed ubuntu 11-10 as a virtual guest (under Vmware) but,
> contrary to a loat of moaning and screeming about Unity I was pleasantly
> surprised by the user interface as I thought it was much worse!.
> Installation went like a breeze and even network was no problem (wired).
> Even adjusting time and date was easy and simple and I could even enter my
> personal location (Almere, a small town below sea-level).
> OK, the window handles are on the wrong =Apple) side but I assume I can
> change that with Ubuntu Tweak.
> I have but one -small- problem. The real estate taken by the menu-list (on
> the left side of the screen is awfully big. I would like to reduce it to 25
> % (or 30%) and position it on the upper side of the screen. However, I don't
> know how 'flexible' the interface is.

Ubuntu Tweak will let you reduce the size of the launcher buttons if
you are using the 3D version of unity rather than the 2D version, but
I don't know of a way to move the launcher itself. Does anyone know
of a way to reduce the size in Unity-2d?

> I hope somebody has answers and als if there are other means that Ubuntu
> Tweak to chage the window buttons location.

Why do you need an alternative to Ubuntu Tweak? It certainly can be
done without using that as it is just changing settings in gconf or
dconf or various settings files, so if you knew what to do it could be
done by hand. Why not just let Ubuntu Tweak do it for you however?

Colin

Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> I finally installed ubuntu 11-10 as a virtual guest (under Vmware) but,
> contrary to a loat of moaning and screeming about Unity I was pleasantly
> surprised by the user interface as I thought it was much worse!.
> Installation went like a breeze and even network was no problem (wired).
> Even adjusting time and date was easy and simple and I could even enter my
> personal location (Almere, a small town below sea-level).
> OK, the window handles are on the wrong =Apple) side but I assume I can
> change that with Ubuntu Tweak.
> I have but one -small- problem. The real estate taken by the menu-list (on
> the left side of the screen is awfully big. I would like to reduce it to 25
> % (or 30%) and position it on the upper side of the screen. However, I don't
> know how 'flexible' the interface is.
> I hope somebody has answers and als if there are other means that Ubuntu
> Tweak to chage the window buttons location.
> Joep

Keep in mind that currently, you do not see the normal Unity, but
Unity 2D in VMware (it falls back to Unity 2D without informing you).

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-23-2011, 08:50 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

Colin, Ioannis,
Thanks for the reply.
Colin, I want to see how different the new UI is 'under the hood",
Ioannis, Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Is it possible to try
the 3-D look under VMware?
I had another peculiar experience. When I had 11-10 installed, it didn't
start in graphic mode but in a console.
I actually had to start X (using startx) to come to the GUI. Is that
normal behaviour??

I find it very horrific for newbies, especially if they come from Windows.
Joep

Old 10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

Joep,

I don't know about VMware but it runs for me in the PUEL version of
VirtulBox.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-24-2011, 02:10 AM
NoOp

On 10/23/2011 03:09 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> On 10/23/2011 03:50 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> On 10/23/2011 09:20 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>>
>>> Keep in mind that currently, you do not see the normal Unity, but
>>> Unity 2D in VMware (it falls back to Unity 2D without informing you).
>>>

>> Colin, Ioannis,
>> Thanks for the reply.
>> Colin, I want to see how different the new UI is 'under the hood",
>> Ioannis, Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Is it possible to try
>> the 3-D look under VMware?
>
> Joep,
>
> I don't know about VMware but it runs for me in the PUEL version of
> VirtulBox.
>
> Regards, Jim

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.virtualbox.user/2733
[[Ubuntu 11.10] Lost Unity Launch bar & top panel
w/vboxadditions_4.1.4_74291]

Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 AM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

Must have jinxed myself, now it behaving strange. Not seeing what you
saw. In my case alot of apps open with their title bar under the top
panel and I can get at it to move them. Resizing does not work either.

In my case it is not too surprising I have been experimenting trying to
bend Unity into something that looks usable to me. I've tried Gnome 3
which is worse than Unity. I fell back to Gnome classic but couldn't
get the panels to work correctly, went back to Unity and that's when the
problems started.

So I can't blame VBox too much with all the things I have tried.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

[...]

All,
Thanks for the info. Gary especially thanks for pointing out that VMware
doesn't allow GLX extensions.
As I wanted to tame Unity I acquired ccsm (Compizconfig-session-manager)
but that is practically useless. You can set all fancy things to windows
etc. but simple things like moving the controls from upper left corner
to upper right corner (as it should be even since the first MS Windows)
cannot be done just as diminishing the ridiculously large size of the
icons in the menu-bar has no item (or I didn't find it due to the
peculiar nomenclature used by the developers. question: is that
apple-speak?).
I have found ubuntu-tweak for 11.10 (but not in the software centre) but
that is 'experimental'.
I find also the the fact that synaptic is not included in the standard
applications shows me that developers follow the MS and Apple attitude
that users lack the ability to chose their own applications and can only
chose what they deem appropriate for them. Although the KDE package
manager, Muon, can be found in the software centre.
All in all I'm not much dissatisfied with it but I have no idea how a
full-blown 11-10 behaves especially with respect to efficiency and
resource load.

Joep

Old 10-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 1:29 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> [...]
> I find also the the fact that synaptic is not included in the standard
> applications shows me that developers follow the MS and Apple attitude that
> users lack the ability to chose their own applications and can only chose
> what they deem appropriate for them. Although the KDE package manager, Muon,
> can be found in the software centre.

Synaptic is available in the repositories too.

> All in all I'm not much dissatisfied with it but I have no idea how a
> full-blown 11-10 behaves especially with respect to efficiency and resource
> load.

It takes about 512 MB of memory when in Unity, but it is as fast as
the previous versions.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-24-2011, 08:21 PM
Liam Proven

On 24 October 2011 11:29, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> All,
> Thanks for the info. Gary especially thanks for pointing out that VMware
> doesn't allow GLX extensions.
> As I wanted to tame Unity I acquired ccsm (Compizconfig-session-manager) but
> that is practically useless. You can set all fancy things to windows etc.
> but simple things like moving the controls from upper left corner to upper
> right corner (as it should be even since the first MS Windows) cannot be
> done

The window controls are in the top left because that way they do not
move when the window is maximised and the title bar merges with the
top panel. It does make sense, honestly!

You can move them by using the GNOME tweak tool or by editing the
settings with gconf-editor, but then, when you maximise a window, they
leap from right to left. I think that this is more inconvenient than
just learning the new position!

For what it is worth, they've been on the left under Mac OS X for over
a decade and everyone seems to manage fine. :¬)

> just as diminishing the ridiculously large size of the icons in the
> menu-bar has no item (or I didn't find it due to the peculiar nomenclature
> used by the developers. question: is that apple-speak?).

No, the Unity devs have invented their own lexicon of terms:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/10228/whats-the-right-terminology-for-unitys-ui-elements

> I find also the the fact that synaptic is not included in the standard
> applications shows me that developers follow the MS and Apple attitude that
> users lack the ability to chose their own applications and can only chose
> what they deem appropriate for them.

You can install Synaptic from the repositories if you wish.

I think the idea is that the Ubuntu Software Centre is now good enough
on its own.