Old 10-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Abhishek Dixit

Default live cd has restricted drivers but the full install does not have

I want to know any Ubuntu distribution take 9.04 I have used the Live
CD of all of these has the properietary Broadcom STA driver.
If you are using a Live CD then you will be able to use the internet/wifi.
This is confirmed by a green color dialog that appears on top right
hand corner of screen which says additional drivers available for this
system.
You click on it the application pretends as if it is downloading some
thing (which it does not)
and you get the wifi working from the live cd
but the moment one installs Ubuntu from this live CD to hard disk I
necessarily need to connect a lan wire and then install the wireless
firmware or driver.
I want to know why is this required? Why can't the driver of live CD
be installed during the install process on the hard disc itself?

--
Regards
Abhi

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Pritam Baral

I want to know any Ubuntu distribution take 9.04 I have used the Live

CD of all of these has the properietary Broadcom STA driver.

If you are using a Live CD then you will be able to use the internet/wifi.

This is confirmed by a green color dialog that appears on top right

hand corner of screen which says additional drivers available for this

system.

You click on it the application pretends as if it is downloading some

thing (which it does not)

and you get the wifi working from the live cd

*but the moment one installs Ubuntu from this live CD to hard disk I

necessarily need to connect a lan wire and then install the wireless

firmware or driver.

I want to know why is this required? Why can't the driver of live CD

be installed during the install process on the hard disc itself?

You can use the CD in the sources, the packages in the CD will be used to install on the hard disc installation. Also, I think that during the installation, there's a check box that lets you install additional proprietary packages, including wireless drivers. As shown*here.

*

--

Regards

Abhi

Chhatoi Pritam Baral

Old 10-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Abhishek Dixit

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 4:45 AM, Pritam Baral <pritam@pritambaral.co.cc> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 17:41, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I want to know any Ubuntu distribution take 9.04 I have used the Live
>> CD of all of these has the properietary Broadcom STA driver.
>> If you are using a Live CD then you will be able to use the internet/wifi.
>> This is confirmed by a green color dialog that appears on top right
>> hand corner of screen which says additional drivers available for this
>> system.
>> You click on it the application pretends as if it is downloading some
>> thing (which it does not)
>> and you get the wifi working from the live cd
>> *but the moment one installs Ubuntu from this live CD to hard disk I
>> necessarily need to connect a lan wire and then install the wireless
>> firmware or driver.
>> I want to know why is this required? Why can't the driver of live CD
>> be installed during the install process on the hard disc itself?
>
> You can use the CD in the sources, the packages in the CD will be used to
> install on the hard disc installation. Also, I think that during the
> installation, there's a check box that lets you install additional
> proprietary packages, including wireless drivers. As shown*here.
>

>> --
Well thanks but I could not confirm what you said.How ever I found a
work around in the live cd there is a folde name pool in it the
restricted drivers are where my driver was located and it needed dkms
(dynamic kernel module support) package that is how I was able to get
things working.
Thanks for your attempt though.