Old 10-23-2011, 08:41 AM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

Default Numlock

Hi,
I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. With Ubuntu 11.04 I used Gnome classic.
In my previoes version I adaption /etc/gdm/Init/Default tot set numlock on before in had to login. This no longer works, I suppose Unity does not use this file for his settings. Is there someone who would tel me where these settings are unther Unity? Many thanks!

Second problem: my Dell laptob has no leds for Numlock or Caps lock. I my previoes version I used an applet to schow the state on the screen. But this applet seems not to work with Unity. Someone could help me to find an applet that does?

Thanks again

Freddy

Old 10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Wade Smart

Enabling NUM LOCK On Startup
Menu -> System -> Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard
->"turn on Numlock on Startup"

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 03:41, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. With Ubuntu 11.04 I used Gnome
> classic.
> In my previoes version I adaption /etc/gdm/Init/Default tot set numlock on
> before in had to login. This no longer works, I suppose Unity does not use
> this file for his settings. Is there someone who would tel me where these
> settings are unther Unity? Many thanks!
> Second problem: my Dell laptob has no leds for Numlock or Caps lock. I my
> previoes version I used an applet to schow the state on the screen. But this
> applet seems not to work with Unity. Someone could help me to find an applet
> that does?
> Thanks again
>
> Freddy

Registered Linux User: #480675
Registered Linux Machine: #408606
Linux since June 2005

Old 10-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Colin Law

On 23 October 2011 13:55, Wade Smart <wadesmart@gmail.com> wrote:
> Enabling NUM LOCK On Startup
> Menu -> System -> Administration -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard
> ->"turn on Numlock on Startup"

There is no such menu in 11.10, and this option does not appear to be
present in System Settings > Keyboard.

Colin

> On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 03:41, Freddy Van Ingelgom <freddyek@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. With Ubuntu 11.04 I used Gnome
>> classic.
>> In my previoes version I adaption /etc/gdm/Init/Default tot set numlock on
>> before in had to login. This no longer works, I suppose Unity does not use
>> this file for his settings. Is there someone who would tel me where these
>> settings are unther Unity? Many thanks!
>> Second problem: my Dell laptob has no leds for Numlock or Caps lock. I my
>> previoes version I used an applet to schow the state on the screen. But this
>> applet seems not to work with Unity. Someone could help me to find an applet
>> that does?
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Freddy
>>
>> --

> Registered Linux User: #480675
> Registered Linux Machine: #408606
> Linux since June 2005

gplus.to/clanlaw

Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Jim Byrnes

I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. With Ubuntu 11.04 I used Gnome
classic.
In my previoes version I adaption /etc/gdm/Init/Default tot set numlock on
before in had to login. This no longer works, I suppose Unity does not use
this file for his settings. Is there someone who would tel me where these
settings are unther Unity? Many thanks!
Second problem: my Dell laptob has no leds for Numlock or Caps lock. I my
previoes version I used an applet to schow the state on the screen. But this
applet seems not to work with Unity. Someone could help me to find an applet
that does?
Thanks again

Freddy

I can't help you with your first problem, but for the second one search
in the Software Center for indicator-keylock. It works for me on a
Lenovo that has no leds.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Wade Smart

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 08:05, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 10/23/2011 03:41 AM, Freddy Van Ingelgom wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.10 with Unity. With Ubuntu 11.04 I used Gnome
>> classic.
>> In my previoes version I adaption /etc/gdm/Init/Default tot set numlock on
>> before in had to login. This no longer works, I suppose Unity does not use
>> this file for his settings. Is there someone who would tel me where these
>> settings are unther Unity? Many thanks!
>> Second problem: my Dell laptob has no leds for Numlock or Caps lock. I my
>> previoes version I used an applet to schow the state on the screen. But
>> this
>> applet seems not to work with Unity. Someone could help me to find an
>> applet
>> that does?
>> Thanks again
>>
>> Freddy
>>

> I can't help you with your first problem, but for the second one search in
> the Software Center for indicator-keylock. *It works for me on a Lenovo that
> has no leds.
>
> Regards, *Jim

Try this then:
sudo apt-get install numlockx

Old 10-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Freddy Van Ingelgom

Thanks for the many responses! numlockx is installed on my system (Ubuntu 11.10) and I try to use Unity. It is different from wath I was used before, the Gnome desktop, but remebering that we should not be affraid of change, I decided to go on with it. For the moment there are a few things I seem not able to adapt to my preferences:

with 11.04 I added a few lines in /etc/gdm/Init/Default so that the keypath was on (NumLock on) when I was asked my password. Unity does not use that file for his settings I suppose, but wath is Unity using then?

I had a keylock applet (in 11.04) that showed on the screen the state of Numlock and Capslock. It was suggested I use "indicator-keylock" but I am unable to find it on the depository's or the Software Center as suggested by Jim Byrnes.

Help?

Freddy