Old 10-23-2011, 02:05 AM
"Chris"

Default Unity Argghhh!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com
[mailto:ubuntu-users-bounces@lists.ubuntu.com] On Behalf Of Liam Proven
Sent: Saturday, October 22, 2011 12:30 PM
To: Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Unity Argghhh!!!

On 22 October 2011 15:52, drew einhorn <drew.einhorn@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I gave it a try in 11.04 and found it UNUSABLE.

>I found it perfectly usable and prefer it to GNOME in many ways. Don't
assume *your* preferences are everyone else's, too.

Actually Liam - He's not. He did say *I* - He never once said We, All,
Everyone or even YOU.
Seems to me that YOU are the one doing the assuming. Drew is very much
correct in voicing his opinion based on HIS experience.
Not once did he try to push his opinion on anyone. For Drew - it's a matter
of fact based on his experience.

Drew: I agree with you. I too gave 11.10 a shot. I too found is unusable for
my needs and liking. This is why I went back to Debian.
Sure - Debian may go the way of 11.10 someday also. When it does, then I
will have another choice to make.

Liam - please read my statement carefully. I said a lot of I's and even a my
or two. I'm not. Try not to assume that I also am assuming my preferences
on anyone.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 5:05 AM, Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:

> [...]

My opinion: Unity in Ubuntu 11.10 is working. I think Canonical goes
towards a touch-oriented UI, that also works with a mouse; the same
thing that Microsoft wants to do with the upcoming Windows 8.

Trying to be open minded, I installed Ubuntu 11.10, configured it, and
I am using it. I consider it as an experimental experience, and it is
working OK so far.

Now if one doesn't like Unity, he/she has other options. He may
install gnome-shell metapackage, and give a try to both GNOME 3.2
Shell, or the GNOME 3.2 Classic UI.

GNOME 3.2 Classic UI is also available alone, by installing the
gnome-panel metapackage.

If you do not like any of these, I suggest install xfce metapackage on
top of Ubuntu 11.10, so as to get XFCE with the apps available in
Ubuntu.

An alternative is to install Xubuntu 11.10 stand alone.

There is also Kubuntu.

In other words, I think there are many other options before going back
to Debian.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net