Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 PM
Joe Bissett

Default Network Printer Problem NEW THREAD

Hi Craig,

First, thanks for taking the time to respond.

On 10/22/2011 2:14 PM, Craig White wrote:

First... you are missing the standard courtesy of starting your own
thread rather than choosing the reply to another thread and changing the
subject. Many of us actually use threading and this pollutes the
original thread and generally confuses things.

With all due respect, I have been on line since 300 baud, and I always
make every effort to not screw things up. I have no clue why my NEW
message became a part of another thread. Once again I have copied only
the address message and pasted it into a new "write" message using
Thunderbird, latest version. Please advise if there is a better way to
start a new thread, as it certainly escapes me.

Second... on your Windows 98 machine, you have to 'share' the printer.

The printer is shared. As I said, I can print from both of the other
two machines on the network.

Make the name reasonably simple and it should be reasonably simple to
find it and print to it.

The W98 machine is "joe" and the printer is "brother". I try hard to
keep things simple. :-) :-)

With Windows, the naming is COMPUTERSHARE
and Linux will use //COMPUTER/SHARE so if the Windows 98 computer is
called win98 and the shared printer is called HL1440, you should be able
to use //win98/hl1440 on your Linux box

I removed the network name mshome, and entered only joe/brother as you
suggest, The result is the same. It finds the computer (joe) but the
"OK" button remains greyed out. Authentication is set to "Prompt user
if authentication is required". No prompts are received.

and not even have to bother
browsing (though browsing the network should work - there may be other
things that interfere with network browsing).

Trying the "Find Network Printer" option, the entry slot will not accept
a virgule (/) so I can not enter //joe/brother. I tried just "brother",
but no luck.

Your instructions certainly seem simple enough to me, but I still have
had no luck. :'(

Thanks for trying, anyway.

Joe

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM
Ioannis Vranos

Joe,

May you send us a screenshot showing the dialog with the OK button
being greyed out (it will be better if it is a full desktop
screenshot).

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Ioannis Vranos

You may use http://imageshack.us, without creating an account.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Joe Bissett

Hi Ioannis

On 10/22/2011 3:55 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ioannis Vranos
<ioannis.vranos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> May you send us a screenshot showing the dialog with the OK button
> being greyed out (it will be better if it is a full desktop screenshot).

You may usehttp://imageshack.us, without creating an account.

I have registered with Image Shack. Sadly I have no clue how to create
a screen capture in 11.10. It should be simple, but I have not found it.

Thanks, Joe

Old 10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Alan Pope

On 24 October 2011 13:10, Joe Bissett <jbissett@hot-peppers.com> wrote:
> I have registered with Image Shack. *Sadly I have no clue how to create a
> screen capture in 11.10. *It should be simple, but I have not found it.

Press the button marked "PrtScr" or "Print Screen" or "Prnt Scrn" or
whatever you have up there in the top right of your keyboard.

Or.

Press the Windows key and then type "screenshot" to search for the
screenshot app and follow the on screen prompts.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 10-24-2011, 12:31 PM
Joe Bissett

ARGH, it was so darn simple that I must have had blinders on. I have
the screen shot "Printing_menus.png"

Here is the Image Shack URL:
img828.imageshack.us/img828/5128/printingmenus.png

Sorry for the earlier DAA.

Joe

Old 11-05-2011, 08:33 AM
Joe Bissett

Hi Ioannis,

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM, Ioannis Vranos
May you send us a screenshot showing the dialog with the OK button
being greyed out (it will be better if it is a full desktop screenshot).

You may use http://imageshack.us, without creating an account.

Did you have any luck with the screen shot that I sent on 10/24? Any
ideas why I can't get Samba to find the network printer?

Joe