Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Sterpu Victor

Default Ubuntu 11.04 server with RAID 1

Hello

In can't install Ubuntu 11.04 server with RAID 1.
The error is "Cannot install grub on /dev/sdb" and the system is not
bootable.

I have 2 hdd's and each has 4 partitions rezulting 4 RAIDs.
The final RAID partitions are swap, /boot, / and /tmp.

After receiving the error I went to the console(ALT+F4) and tryed to
install grub manualy but the command grub-install is not available.

How do I solve this?
Thank you.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Sterpu Victor

Ubuntu server is version 11.10 not 11.04.
I wrote the wrong version in the original post.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:04 PM
Sterpu Victor

The initial test was on a 64 bit with 2 sata hdds and the problem was
the error that I described.

I used 64 bit Ubuntu server 11.10 cd.

I did another test on a 32 bit computer with one ATA hdd and the RAID
worked.
I had only one ATA hdd and I did many partitions on the same device. I
coupled these partitions in raid array.

I used 32 bit Ubuntu server 11.10 cd.

What is the problem on the 64 bit machine?
I'm trying to migrate from Debian to Ubuntu for some time but for this
reason I can't.

Thank you.

Old 10-22-2011, 10:19 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Sterpu Victor <victor@casnt.ro> wrote:
> The initial test was on a 64 bit with 2 sata hdds and the problem was the
> error that I described.
> I used 64 bit Ubuntu server 11.10 cd.
>
> I did another test on a 32 bit computer with one ATA hdd and the RAID
> worked.
> I had only one ATA hdd and I did many partitions on the same device. I
> coupled these partitions in raid array.
> I used 32 bit Ubuntu server 11.10 cd.
>
> What is the problem on the 64 bit machine?
> I'm trying to migrate from Debian to Ubuntu for some time but for this
> reason I can't.
> Thank you.

Do you create RAID 1 manually and then it fails? Also give it a try
with the 32-bit CD and let us know if the issue remains.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
Sterpu Victor

I made it work.
The problem was that Ubuntu can't install grub on a raid 1 that has a
GPT partition table.