Old 10-22-2011, 02:37 PM
R Kimber

Default Firefox security question

I understand that if you are attempting to open a local file from a remote
site then it won't work - it would be a significant security breach if links
on remote sites could open or execute files on a local machine.

However, I want to be able to open my own local files that are on my own
machine from web pages that are local to, and created on, my machine - which
seems to me not to be a security problem. Indeed, this used to work before
I upgraded to 11.10.

How may I configure Firefox so that it displays these local pages using
links of the form:

I tried the two options I could find using Google, namely creating user.js
and putting:
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "localfilelinks");
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.sites" ,
"http://local website here");
user_pref("capability.policy.localfilelinks.checkl oaduri.enabled",
"allAccess");

and also editing the appropriate security setting in about:config, but
neither will work.

Any ideas about how I can do this?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Hi Richard,

I have tested a pure HTML site on my side, and could navigate to other
pages. The pages were served from my home directory and not another
users directory (in your case /home/web). The issue you might be having
is related to the permissions of that directory. Can you try move the
contents of that directory over to your home directory? Perhaps it
would be beneficial to setup apache on your local machine to serve your
content, however this is not really required for what you are trying to
achieve.

Regarding remote content from a local file, this is possible and not
really a security issue. Executing remote scripts such as Javascript
could potentially be a security problem but it all depends on what is
in the javascript file itself.

I hope I interpreted you problem correctly, but perhaps you can provide
me with more information on exactly what you want setup and how you
want it to work.

No extra configuration was required to run the local files in firefox.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
R Kimber

On Sat, 22 Oct 2011 17:32:13 +0200
Bruce Pieterse wrote:

> I hope I interpreted you problem correctly, but perhaps you can provide
> me with more information on exactly what you want setup and how you
> want it to work.

I have a private local version of my website that is served locally by
Apache2.

Basically, what I'm doing is running w3c linkchecker and then processing
the output with some home grown scripts and programs to make it easier for
me to deal with. The Linkchecker html output includes a line that says
something like:
"Processing <a
href="file:///home/web/area/monaco.htm">file:///home/web/area/monaco.htm</a>

Of course, I could modify my scripts so that the file://etc is replaced by
the relevant http://, but since it used to work OK I wondered if there was a
configuration tweak I could do that would save me having to edit
the scripts.

- Richard.