Old 10-22-2011, 01:47 PM
John D Lamb

Default Playing midi files to external synth in Oneiric

I used to use kmid because it was the only application I knew that (1)
could play to an external midi device (through Yamaha UX16), (2) had a
GUI. But the kmid backport no longer works in Oneiric.

It took me about 3/4 hour to write a basic Java GUI to work with pmidi
and give enough functionality to open and play midi files.

But, if it’s that easy, there must be some other GUI application
available for Oneiric that does this. Any suggestions?

--
John D Lamb

Old 10-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM, John D Lamb <J.D.Lamb@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I used to use kmid because it was the only application I knew that (1)
> could play to an external midi device (through Yamaha UX16), (2) had a
> GUI. But the kmid backport no longer works in Oneiric.
>
> It took me about 3/4 hour to write a basic Java GUI to work with pmidi
> and give enough functionality to open and play midi files.
>
> But, if it’s that easy, there must be some other GUI application
> available for Oneiric that does this. Any suggestions?

Did you check in the Ubuntu Software Center? The web?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-23-2011, 08:32 AM
John D Lamb

On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 21:25 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> > It took me about 3/4 hour to write a basic Java GUI to work with pmidi
> > and give enough functionality to open and play midi files.
> >
> > But, if it’s that easy, there must be some other GUI application
> > available for Oneiric that does this. Any suggestions?
>

> Did you check in the Ubuntu Software Center? The web?

Strange as it must seem, yes. Searching the web is easier than
programming Java.

There are plenty of midi apps. But most of them are midi software
synthesizers. That is, they convert midi to easily playable sound using
a soundfont. What I’m looking for is something with a GUI that will send
the midi output to an external midi device.

--
John D Lamb

Old 10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 09:32 +0100, John D Lamb wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-10-22 at 21:25 +0300, Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>
> > > It took me about 3/4 hour to write a basic Java GUI to work with pmidi
> > > and give enough functionality to open and play midi files.
> > >
> > > But, if it’s that easy, there must be some other GUI application
> > > available for Oneiric that does this. Any suggestions?
> >

> > Did you check in the Ubuntu Software Center? The web?
>
> Strange as it must seem, yes. Searching the web is easier than
> programming Java.
>
> There are plenty of midi apps. But most of them are midi software
> synthesizers. That is, they convert midi to easily playable sound using
> a soundfont. What I’m looking for is something with a GUI that will send
> the midi output to an external midi device.
----
rosegarden?

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:45 AM
Johnny Rosenberg

2011/10/23 Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>:

>> > Did you check in the Ubuntu Software Center? The web?
>>
>> Strange as it must seem, yes. Searching the web is easier than
>> programming Java.
>>
>> There are plenty of midi apps. But most of them are midi software
>> synthesizers. That is, they convert midi to easily playable sound using
>> a soundfont. What I’m looking for is something with a GUI that will send
>> the midi output to an external midi device.
> ----
> rosegarden?
>
> Craig

I think that feature is recently added to Ardour as well, but that
might be somewhat overkill…

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・*ーゼンバーグ

Old 10-23-2011, 05:23 PM
John D Lamb

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 13:45 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:
> > ----
> > rosegarden?
> >
> > Craig
>
> I think that feature is recently added to Ardour as well, but that
> might be somewhat overkill…

I’d forgotten about rosegarden. I mainly use it for midi input.
Rosegarden is overkill for what I want. And Ardour probably is too,
assuming it works. I’ve now written enough of an app to do what I want:
select a midi file, play it to the UX16 and stop midi when I quit the
applicaton in the middle of playing (rosegarden doesn’t do this).

--
John D Lamb