Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Jim Byrnes

Default Lost Unity

I have 11.10 installed in VirtualBox (on 10.04) and it had been working
well. Today I installed the Compiz settings manager. I then started
going through all the settings just to see what was available. The only
thing I knowingly changed was the width of the launcher. I set the
slider to its minimum.

At some time while I was paging through the various settings the
launcher disappeared. I just thought that it was hidden, but after
closing the setting manage I could not get it to reappear. In fact my
desktop is displaying nothing except its background and and a grey menu
bar at the top with File Edit View Go Bookmarks Help on it. The menu
items work and right-clicking on the desktop shows up the normal popup.
If I start typing a text box opens in the lower right hand corner but
hitting enter just closes the window. The esc and windows keys do nothing.

Any idea on how to get a working desktop back, short of reinstalling?

Thanks, Jim

Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Bruce Pieterse

[...]

Hi Jim,

To restore the default unity settings, you can open a terminal and type
unity --reset.

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-21-2011, 07:06 PM
David Shochat

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I have 11.10 installed in VirtualBox (on 10.04) and it had been working
> well. *Today I installed the Compiz settings manager. *I then started going
> through all the settings just to see what was available. *The only thing I
> knowingly changed was the width of the launcher. I set the slider to its
> minimum.
>
> At some time while I was paging through the various settings the launcher
> disappeared. I just thought that it was hidden, but after closing the
> setting manage I could not get it to reappear. *In fact my desktop is
> displaying nothing except its background and and a grey menu bar at the top
> with File Edit View Go Bookmarks Help on it. The menu items work and
> right-clicking on the desktop shows up the normal popup. If I start typing a
> text box opens in the lower right hand corner but hitting enter just closes
> the window. *The esc and windows keys do nothing.
>
> Any idea on how to get a working desktop back, short of reinstalling?

I've seen someone else on this list suggesting a command like "unity
-reset". Have you tried that? You'll have to get a shell prompt of
course. Did you try right mousing on your blank desktop to see if you
could bring up a terminal?

I had exactly the same thing happen to me shortly after upgrading to
11.10. Fortunately, this was in an admin account used only for doing
software updates, etc. So I somehow managed to use this account to
give admin status to another account. Then using that other account, I
deleted the entire contents of the home directory of the account where
the problem had occurred. Yes, that's extreme, but quick and there was
nothing important in that home directory. I've done similar things
before where there were things I did not want to lose. In that case, I
renamed the home directory itself, created a new one with the right
name and ownership and then later moved the important files from the
old home directory to the new one. When I logged into the account
which now had the empty home directory, everything got reinitialized
properly with the launcher back again. I hope they get this
"disappearing Unity" bug fixed. I now see I'm not the only one who was
bitten by it.
-- David

Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 10/21/2011 01:59 PM, Bruce Pieterse wrote:

[...]

Bruce,

I didn't think I could get to a terminal, but Ctrl-alt-T worked, not
much else would. This is what I get when doing unity --reset.

jfb@Ubuntu11:~$ unity --reset
unity-panel-service: no process found
Checking if settings need to be migrated ...no
Checking if internal files need to be migrated ...no
Backend : gconf
Integration : true
Profile : default
Adding plugins
Skipping upgrade com.canonical.unity.unity.01.upgrade
Skipping upgrade com.canonical.unity.unity.02.upgrade
Initializing core options...done
Initializing bailer options...done
Initializing detection options...done
Initializing composite options...done
OpenGL Warning: No pincher, please call crStateSetCurrentPointers() in
your SPU

Initializing opengl options...done
OpenGL Info: Using XSHM for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap
Initializing decor options...done
Initializing mousepoll options...done
Initializing vpswitch options...done
Initializing animation options...done
Initializing snap options...done
compiz (expo) - Warn: failed to bind image to texture
Initializing expo options...done
Initializing move options...done
Initializing place options...done
Initializing grid options...done
Initializing gnomecompat options...done
Initializing wall options...done
Initializing ezoom options...done
Initializing workarounds options...done
Initializing staticswitcher options...[ERROR]: Option "next_button"
already defined

[ERROR]: Option "next_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_all_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_all_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_all_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_all_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_group_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_group_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_group_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_group_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_no_popup_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_no_popup_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_no_popup_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_no_popup_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_panel_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "next_panel_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_panel_button" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "prev_panel_key" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "speed" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "timestep" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "window_match" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "minimized" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "auto_change_vp" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "popup_delay" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "mouse_select" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "saturation" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "brightness" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "opacity" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "icon" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "icon_only" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "mipmap" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "row_align" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "focus_on_switch" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "bring_to_front" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "highlight_mode" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "highlight_rect_hidden" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "highlight_color" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "highlight_border_color" already defined
[ERROR]: Option "highlight_border_inlay_color" already defined
done
Initializing resize options...done
Initializing fade options...done
Initializing scale options...done
Initializing session options...done

At this point the terminal hangs. If I close it I am told there is
still a process running.

Thanks, Jim

Old 10-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 10/21/2011 02:06 PM, David Shochat wrote:

[...]

Hi David,

unity --reset did not work, see my other message for the list of errors.
Since this is a test install in VBox with nothing important in it if I
can't easily fix it I will do the reinstall. Just trying to find an
easy way to fix it if it happens in the future with something that matters.

Thanks, Jim

Old 10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:56 PM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> unity --reset did not work, see my other message for the list of errors.
> Since this is a test install in VBox with nothing important in it if I can't
> easily fix it I will do the reinstall. *Just trying to find an easy way to
> fix it if it happens in the future with something that matters.
>
> Thanks, *Jim

1. After you boot Ubuntu, do NOT login to the graphical login manager.

2. Change to another console, like the second one, by pressing the
corresponding keys for VirtualBox (I think by default it is, *right*
Ctrl-F2).

3. Log in with your username and password.

4. Type unity --reset.

5. Reboot.

6. Log in to graphical login manager.

7. Reboot.

You are done. I have done this to my native Ubuntu 11.10 installation
and it worked.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net

Old 10-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Jim Byrnes

On 10/21/2011 03:17 PM, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

[...]

Turns out I shot myself in the foot. To get unity back I opened a
terminal and typed ccsm to open the settings manager. Than I noticed
that Ubuntu Unity Plugin was NOT checked. I checked it and Unity came
back. I certainly did not uncheck it on purpose. I must have dragged
the mouse pointer across it without realizing what I had done.

Regards, Jim

Old 10-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Bruce Pieterse

On Fri 21 Oct 2011 22:17:57 SAST, Ioannis Vranos wrote:

[...]

Thanks for sharing that extended tip. So effectively, there will be no
changes unless you log out and log in again or do the above?

--
Best of luck,

Bruce

Old 10-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Ioannis Vranos

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Bruce Pieterse <octoquadza@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ioannis,
>
> Thanks for sharing that extended tip. So effectively, there will be no
> changes unless you log out and log in again or do the above?

If you are logged in when you run the unity --reset command, the Unity
bar will disappear, along with other things, and you will get error
messages. After you reboot, you will probably get Unity OK with its
default icons, however if you do what I said, the Unity reset will be
more "clean" (for example you will not get error messages, if I recall
well).

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www.cpp-software.net