-   -   Very slow USB 3.0 data transfer on Ubuntu 11.10 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/588595-very-slow-usb-3-0-data-transfer-ubuntu-11-10-a.html)

Christopher Beynon 10-17-2011 01:52 PM

Very slow USB 3.0 data transfer on Ubuntu 11.10

Computer: ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 (AMD E-350 APU Platform) with two USB 3.0 ports.
Ubuntu 11.10.
Two external harddisks (FAT 32 resp. NTFS) in USB 3.0 enclosures.
When copying between to two harddisks, I get only transfer rates of
about 6 MB/s.
With Windows 7 with the same setup (dual boot) I get transfer rates of
about 80 MB/s.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Christopher

Liam Proven 10-17-2011 07:23 PM

Very slow USB 3.0 data transfer on Ubuntu 11.10

On 17 October 2011 14:52, Christopher Beynon
<christopher.beynon@gmail.com> wrote:
> Computer: ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 (AMD E-350 APU Platform) with two USB 3.0 ports.
> Ubuntu 11.10.
> Two external harddisks (FAT 32 resp. NTFS) in USB 3.0 enclosures.
> When copying between to two harddisks, I get only transfer rates of
> about 6 MB/s.
> With Windows 7 with the same setup (dual boot) I get transfer rates of
> about 80 MB/s.
>
> Any suggestions?

Sounds very odd. Perhaps some kernel driver issue. Can you try testing
with a couple of non-Ubuntu distros booted from LiveCD, such as MEPIS
and PCLinuxOS or Fedora?

Christopher Beynon 10-18-2011 07:33 AM

2011/10/17 Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com>:
> On 17 October 2011 14:52, Christopher Beynon
> <christopher.beynon@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Computer: ZOTAC ZBOX AD02 (AMD E-350 APU Platform) with two USB 3.0 ports.
>> Ubuntu 11.10.
>> Two external harddisks (FAT 32 resp. NTFS) in USB 3.0 enclosures.
>> When copying between to two harddisks, I get only transfer rates of
>> about 6 MB/s.
>> With Windows 7 with the same setup (dual boot) I get transfer rates of
>> about 80 MB/s.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> Sounds very odd. Perhaps some kernel driver issue. Can you try testing
> with a couple of non-Ubuntu distros booted from LiveCD, such as MEPIS
> and PCLinuxOS or Fedora?
>
> --
Thank you for the answer, I will try that in the next days.
Is there a possibility to blacklist a driver to narrow down the problem?

Nicolae Ghimbovschi 10-18-2011 07:43 AM

Very slow USB 3.0 data transfer on Ubuntu 11.10

Hi,

It could be due to slow NTFS write IO. The Linux NTFS driver is not
very efficient for high IO.

You could try to copy to a fat32 or ext3,4 or any other Linux
supported filesystem, and see the difference.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 16:52, Christopher Beynon

Christopher Beynon 10-28-2011 04:40 PM

Very slow USB 3.0 data transfer on Ubuntu 11.10

That's the solution.
Thank you for the answer.